Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
The Badass
Max Brawn
Points: 6,121, Level: 50 Points: 6,121, Level: 50 Points: 6,121, Level: 50
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: since 2006
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: EGGS & BACON
The Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributor
Default How to Be Happy: 8 Ways to Feel Better About Everything

How to Be Happy: 8 Ways to Feel Better About Everything
By Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – Tue, Apr 23, 2013 10:41 AM EDT

Who doesn’t want happiness? For most people, the question of how to achieve it is right up there with that of wondering what happens to us when we die. And psychology professor Sonja Lyubomirsky is on the forefront of helping everyone find some answers, both through tireless research as well as with her books, like “The How of Happiness” (2007) and its just-published follow-up, “The Myths of Happiness.”

Lyubomirsky, based at the University of California, Riverside, believes that everyone has his or her own set happiness level, noted the New York Times in a recent profile of the researcher. And the less happy among us tend to share traits like frequently comparing themselves to others (and finding personal disappointment in others’ successes), rationalizing often, and dwelling on unhappy events. Happy folks, meanwhile, have a greater tendency to store up positive moments in their memory.

But whatever your set level is, Lyubomirsky’s research has showed there are many ways—known as “hedonic benefits”—to boost it, some of which may be surprising.
  1. Perform random acts of kindness
    “The generous acts don’t have to be random and they don’t have to be a certain kind (e.g, anonymous or social or big, etc.),” Lyubomirsky told fellow happiness-expert Gretchen Rubin. “We have found that almost any types of acts of kindness boost happiness.” Recent studies have corroborated the findings, she noted, with one showing that when 9- to 11-year old kids were asked to do good deeds for several weeks, they not only got happier, but became more popular with their peers.

2. Live in a home that’s rented, not owned
    Lyubomirsky takes the American Dream to task, saying that renters are happier than owners. At least one study agrees, finding that “Homeowners are no happier than renters by any of the following definitions: life satisfaction, overall mood, overall feeling, general moment-to-moment emotions (i.e. affect) and affect at home but instead derive more pain from their house and home.”

3. Count your blessings
    Learning to practice gratefulness is particularly key to happiness, Lyubomirsky says. And there are many ways to do it: by keeping a gratitude journal, in which you ruminate on 2-3 things for which you’re currently grateful, “from the mundane (your dryer is fixed, your flowers are finally in bloom, your husband remembered to stop by the store) to the magnificent (your child’s first steps, the beauty of the sky at night),” she wrote in a recent blog post. Alternately, you can choose a fixed time that’s set aside for thinking about your blessings, or when you can talk about what’s good in your life with a gratitude partner, or even tell people directly that you’re grateful for them or their actions. Writing one day, and then thinking or discussing the next, is a good way to keep your gratitude practice fresh, she notes.

4. Be thrifty
    Materialism, overconsumption and overspending will ultimately get you down, Lyubomirsky has noted, reiterating the point by using age-old tropes (possessions break, while memories only get better) and quotes (“Our necessities are few, but our wants are endless”). “Promoting sustainable happiness means helping people transcend set points and setbacks to live more rewarding lives,” she writes in one study. “Thrift can complement this endeavor by extending the meaning of sustainability, ensuring that the collective can flourish as well as the individual.” In other words? Greed makes everyone sad.

5. Become a parent
    No, it’s not for everyone, and definitely not a quick or simple fix. But parents experience greater levels of happiness and meaning in life than people without children, according to research that Lyubomirsky led in 2012. “We are not saying that parenting makes people happy, but that parenthood is associated with happiness and meaning,” she explained. “Contrary to repeated scholarly and media pronouncements, people may find solace that parenthood and child care may actually be linked to feelings of happiness and meaning in life.”

6. Learn to savor positive experiences
    “The ability to savor the positive experiences in your life is one of the most important ingredients of happiness,” according to Lyubomirsky. How to do it? Put together a small album with happy photos or mementos and carry it around with you. Try to be present and fully appreciate small, happy moments—from taking a shower to eating a meal. And tune in to natural joys, from the sound of a bird singing to the smell of fresh spring blossoms in the air.

7. Take baby steps toward life goals
    Making a list of your big goals in life, and taking baby steps toward them, is very happy-inducing. That’s because a component of happiness is the sense that your life is good, “that you’re progressing towards your goals in life,” Lyubomirsky told Diane Rehm. This is a digestible way to make it possible.

8. Stay healthy and live long: Happiness peaks at age 65
    As she noted in her first book, a 22-year study of about 2,000 healthy veterans of World War II and the Korean War revealed that life satisfaction increased over the course of these men’s lives, peaked at age 65, and didn’t start significantly declining until age 75. Takeaway: Not happy at 30? Don’t give up, and don’t rush it. There’s still time.
The Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Good Info..... Not sure I but the part about home ownership but hey, what do I know? The only thing I would add is believe in something. Numerous studies have shown that people who practice a faith tend to be happier. For me, Christ is the answer. The problem is irrelevant.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Serving others in need - really getting face to face with them and helping them - can't recommend it enough.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
ruizen
New Brawn
Points: 423, Level: 8 Points: 423, Level: 8 Points: 423, Level: 8
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

ruizen is off to a good startruizen is off to a good startruizen is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Good Info..... Not sure I but the part about home ownership but hey, what do I know? The only thing I would add is believe in something. Numerous studies have shown that people who practice a faith tend to be happier. For me, Christ is the answer. The problem is irrelevant.
I first found this one odd as well but then thought hey if you have any issues and you are a renter, you call the landlord and they set up all the apt. and take care of the bill. If you own, you have to do everything by yourself and that can take a lot out of you.
ruizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
The Badass
Max Brawn

The Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributorThe Badass is a dedicated contributor

1. Perform random acts of kindness
- It's rare but sometimes happens

2. Live in a home that’s rented, not owned
- I currently rent now.

3. Count your blessings
- I'm blessed?

4. Be thrifty
- I try to save $$ where I can but get weak on TECH-Toys

5. Become a parent
- I REALLY want to be dad......but I can't seem to get a girlfriend first.

- Ummmm, what?

7. Take baby steps toward life goals
- I suppose I am doing this with powerlifting?

8. Stay healthy and live long: Happiness peaks at age 65
- I lift therefore I am but still not healthy enough.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Awesome View Post

- Ummmm, what?
I think you may have missed the point on this one; if I wake up without a bad head, I savour the day...some take no headache for granted.

I can walk, I can lift, I can see, I can hear, I have all my limbs...I should savour all those things. It's the little things we mostly take for granted, things right in front of us, that we should be savouring.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
The Badass
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I think you may have missed the point on this one; if I wake up without a bad head, I savour the day...some take no headache for granted.

I can walk, I can lift, I can see, I can hear, I have all my limbs...I should savour all those things. It's the little things we mostly take for granted, things right in front of us, that we should be savouring.
Well then I suppose it's an issue that I wake up everyday and ask myself the question "Why bother?"
Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Quote:
Well then I suppose it's an issue that I wake up everyday and ask myself the question "Why bother?"
I usually wake up with a pee boner
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
samW
Brawn
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

samW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good posts

Quote:
Because you are worth it
samW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
benchgoals
New Brawn
Points: 189, Level: 3 Points: 189, Level: 3 Points: 189, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

benchgoals has made some good postsbenchgoals has made some good postsbenchgoals has made some good postsbenchgoals has made some good postsbenchgoals has made some good postsbenchgoals has made some good postsbenchgoals has made some good postsbenchgoals has made some good posts

Nice read. I do know that when I help others I feel better which makes me do better in all aspect of my life.
benchgoals is offline   Reply With Quote