Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool Real Hyper-Extensions

As I've said, I've been out of circulation for awhile.

Several times—both here and a couple other places—my references to "Hyper-Extensions" has caused confusion.

Folks nowadays are doing some bizarre back-bends on a ill-concieved piece of Junk that has them at about a 45 degree angle to the ground at the top.

Stumbled across these today.

This my Friends is a REAL, Genuine Hyper-Extension...

And you can also do Sit-Ups on the same piece of Apparatus...

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

What are these 45 degree things you speak of?

No, I know what they look like. But our local gym only has the "old school" device featured in that video, luckily.

I do back extensions, not hypers, which look a bit different in execution, but probably offer much the same end results, I imagine. Are you familiar with the back ex, as opposed to hyperex? And if so, what are your thoughts on that in particular?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Soc
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Soc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good posts

If you want to get technical, that is a back raise.

"Extension" in the name back extensions implies there is flexion and thus extension of the spine, which would work the erectors eccentrically and concentrically.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...k-forever.html
Soc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

We called them hypertextensions as far back as I can remember. I believe they called this exercise the hyperextension as far back as the 50s or earlier. I know a lot of the old school articles reference hyperextensions.

I recall Gironda calling them "Back hyperextensions". So over the years it seems the two phrases grew out of the same tree.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I call them Back Raises.
I'm kinda simple that way. . .
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

They used to call that device a "Roman Chair"...

There is another gadget—nothing like the first one—that people use for "Roman Chair Squats"...

{Parenthetically: Has anyone made much use of Roman Chair Squats?}

And to make it really confusing, I saw a gadget for doing hanging leg raises with the forearms supported called a "Roman Chair" as well.

The "Roman Chairs"—or whatever—that we used to do, held the upright body parallel to the floor.

That fellow's feet are a wee bit lower than his hips.

You'd wear a chain around the neck that had been set to just tighten at full extension.

After the first few, you'd swear that you were fully "Up", but the chain wouldn't quite be taut. You'd have to really strain to get that last 1/4".

Very few folks could do 15 slow deliberate reps, getting the chain taught at the top each rep.

Although we did have a few monsters who actually used a small resistance held behind the head.

As I said in another post, you always used to see Soviet Weight Lifters doing lots of these—sans chain—in "Strength and Health".

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote