Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pulled muscle therapy (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13199)

IronWill 04-04-2013 03:26 AM

Pulled muscle therapy
 
It seems we don't have a forum that deals specifically with injuries. I can never remember, is it heat or ice for a muscle pull? Or something else?

LtL 04-04-2013 04:18 AM

Is it strained or torn? Middle of the muscle belly or joint?

IronWill 04-04-2013 04:23 AM

I would say it is strained. It's in my upper back kinda like in the trap around the shoulder blade area.

LtL 04-04-2013 04:57 AM

Use heat: tiger balm or something similar and also perform the following stretches:

Lie on back, pull one knee to the chest, hold for 10-15 seconds and then switch legs, then do both at the same time
Stretch your lats by holding onto a door frame with a flat back bent at the waist and tilt your hips to the side opposite to the hand holding the door

Those two things combined should help. Let me know how you get on.

IronWill 04-04-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 345819)
Use heat: tiger balm or something similar and also perform the following stretches:

Lie on back, pull one knee to the chest, hold for 10-15 seconds and then switch legs, then do both at the same time
Stretch your lats by holding onto a door frame with a flat back bent at the waist and tilt your hips to the side opposite to the hand holding the door

Those two things combined should help. Let me know how you get on.

I'll give that try. Thanks LtL :)

5kgLifter 04-04-2013 06:16 AM

For heat, wherever you can, you'd be better off using a heating pad or a warm water bottle because they give heat to the area; the only thing the rubs do, all of them, is irritate the skin enough to make sure the body responds to the irritation and therefore block the pain signals which is how they work but they don't radiate heat of any kind, we may think they do but it's a false heat sensation, unlike with ice and cold gels which do work in the manner of cooling..don't ask me why they don't have a heat rub that actually does heat the area, I've no idea.


I was surprised when I read about this.

IronWill 04-04-2013 06:27 AM

Well, all I have is a heating pad, so I'm good there ;) Thanks Babs

LtL 04-04-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 345834)
For heat, wherever you can, you'd be better off using a heating pad or a warm water bottle because they give heat to the area; the only thing the rubs do, all of them, is irritate the skin enough to make sure the body responds to the irritation and therefore block the pain signals which is how they work but they don't radiate heat of any kind, we may think they do but it's a false heat sensation, unlike with ice and cold gels which do work in the manner of cooling..don't ask me why they don't have a heat rub that actually does heat the area, I've no idea.


I was surprised when I read about this.

I like the increased bloodflow I get from the topical treatments. If I have tightness in a certain muscle I use deep heat during my warm-up and that extra blood flow and warmth is normally enough to loosen me up. I have probably read the same article as you but I'm not sure I agree with it...

5kgLifter 04-04-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 345839)
I like the increased bloodflow I get from the topical treatments. If I have tightness in a certain muscle I use deep heat during my warm-up and that extra blood flow and warmth is normally enough to loosen me up. I have probably read the same article as you but I'm not sure I agree with it...

True, it does seem a little weird and deep heat style rubs do tend to make things feel better, I just wonder if they do anything as such other than mask the pain and kind of radiate a sort of warmth which makes it easier for us to move the area...not that it's a bad thing if it does, it's still working, that way as well, in addition to having to rub the stuff in which would also ease the area.

Paradox 04-04-2013 07:14 AM

In regards to icing...

People, We’ve Got to Stop Icing. We Were Wrong, Sooo Wrong. | Mobility WOD

EDIT (actual contribution):

Have you tried both heat and compression (with movement)? Depending on the area, and the severity of the "strain," rest with active compression/movement is all that seems to work for me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.