Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast
Default Pulled muscle therapy

It seems we don't have a forum that deals specifically with injuries. I can never remember, is it heat or ice for a muscle pull? Or something else?
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Is it strained or torn? Middle of the muscle belly or joint?
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
IronWill
Max Brawn

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

I would say it is strained. It's in my upper back kinda like in the trap around the shoulder blade area.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Use heat: tiger balm or something similar and also perform the following stretches:

Lie on back, pull one knee to the chest, hold for 10-15 seconds and then switch legs, then do both at the same time
Stretch your lats by holding onto a door frame with a flat back bent at the waist and tilt your hips to the side opposite to the hand holding the door

Those two things combined should help. Let me know how you get on.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
IronWill
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Use heat: tiger balm or something similar and also perform the following stretches:

Lie on back, pull one knee to the chest, hold for 10-15 seconds and then switch legs, then do both at the same time
Stretch your lats by holding onto a door frame with a flat back bent at the waist and tilt your hips to the side opposite to the hand holding the door

Those two things combined should help. Let me know how you get on.
I'll give that try. Thanks LtL
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

For heat, wherever you can, you'd be better off using a heating pad or a warm water bottle because they give heat to the area; the only thing the rubs do, all of them, is irritate the skin enough to make sure the body responds to the irritation and therefore block the pain signals which is how they work but they don't radiate heat of any kind, we may think they do but it's a false heat sensation, unlike with ice and cold gels which do work in the manner of cooling..don't ask me why they don't have a heat rub that actually does heat the area, I've no idea.

I was surprised when I read about this.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
IronWill
Max Brawn

Well, all I have is a heating pad, so I'm good there Thanks Babs
Old 04-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
For heat, wherever you can, you'd be better off using a heating pad or a warm water bottle because they give heat to the area; the only thing the rubs do, all of them, is irritate the skin enough to make sure the body responds to the irritation and therefore block the pain signals which is how they work but they don't radiate heat of any kind, we may think they do but it's a false heat sensation, unlike with ice and cold gels which do work in the manner of cooling..don't ask me why they don't have a heat rub that actually does heat the area, I've no idea.

I was surprised when I read about this.
I like the increased bloodflow I get from the topical treatments. If I have tightness in a certain muscle I use deep heat during my warm-up and that extra blood flow and warmth is normally enough to loosen me up. I have probably read the same article as you but I'm not sure I agree with it...
Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I like the increased bloodflow I get from the topical treatments. If I have tightness in a certain muscle I use deep heat during my warm-up and that extra blood flow and warmth is normally enough to loosen me up. I have probably read the same article as you but I'm not sure I agree with it...
True, it does seem a little weird and deep heat style rubs do tend to make things feel better, I just wonder if they do anything as such other than mask the pain and kind of radiate a sort of warmth which makes it easier for us to move the area...not that it's a bad thing if it does, it's still working, that way as well, in addition to having to rub the stuff in which would also ease the area.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

In regards to icing...

People, We’ve Got to Stop Icing. We Were Wrong, Sooo Wrong. | Mobility WOD

EDIT (actual contribution):

Have you tried both heat and compression (with movement)? Depending on the area, and the severity of the "strain," rest with active compression/movement is all that seems to work for me.

Last edited by Paradox; 04-04-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote