Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Foam Rolling (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13155)

Reefboy1980 03-31-2013 09:54 AM

Foam Rolling

I've been foam rolling now for a while but I keep seeing videos where they say once you find a sore spot to just keep on that spot until the pain disappears.
Well I find them spots & they don't disappear in fact the more I roll the more intense it gets. Am I doing something wrong?

LtL 03-31-2013 10:05 AM

If you concentrate on the painful spots you should feel relief afterwards. During the rolling it will be painful though.

brad1224 03-31-2013 10:09 AM

Ya just stay on the spot and it will release the pain later. U may have to do it a couple of times or a few days in a row. I personally love foam rolling

OHDL 03-31-2013 06:45 PM

I agree with the other posts, it can be a very intense pain especially the IT band. Foam rolling has been very beneficial for me.

crush 04-02-2013 06:29 PM

I have done it a few times and yes the pain feels much worse when you roll on it. But trust me after doing it for a while, the pain will feel much better after wards.

Reefboy1980 04-03-2013 06:29 AM

Do you just hold that sore spot for 20-30 seconds or do you roll slowly up & down & if so how many times do you try to roll it out

Tannhauser 04-03-2013 07:07 AM

I like foam rolling, and it sometimes helps me with back ache, but I wonder if it's possible to fall in love with it too much.

I used it on my IT band for ages, enduring horrible pain which never got any easier. I now think that was a total waste of time: trying to stretch the IT band is like trying to stretch out a truck tyre - it's just not going to happen, and especially not by foam rolling.

Second, about foam rolling through the pain. Well, maybe it releases 'adhesions', and that takes a lot of work...then again, maybe not. With sports massage, it seems to me that too much pressure only serves to bruise the tissue - going back to it before it's recovered just bruises it all the more. I wonder if continually rolling the same spot is just like punching yourself until you get a really sore area, then punching it some more and wondering why it still hurts.

LtL 04-03-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 345455)
I like foam rolling, and it sometimes helps me with back ache, but I wonder if it's possible to fall in love with it too much.

I used it on my IT band for ages, enduring horrible pain which never got any easier. I now think that was a total waste of time: trying to stretch the IT band is like trying to stretch out a truck tyre - it's just not going to happen, and especially not by foam rolling.

Second, about foam rolling through the pain. Well, maybe it releases 'adhesions', and that takes a lot of work...then again, maybe not. With sports massage, it seems to me that too much pressure only serves to bruise the tissue - going back to it before it's recovered just bruises it all the more. I wonder if continually rolling the same spot is just like punching yourself until you get a really sore area, then punching it some more and wondering why it still hurts.

Agreed especially on the IT Band. I get some relief but it's minimal and it never truly releases. Do enough, not too much.

Reefboy1980 04-03-2013 11:56 AM

I was told by my sports therapist that you shouldn't roll the IT band too much as its supposed to be tough & rolling it too regular can weaken it

IainK 04-03-2013 12:05 PM

TBH I found foam rolling the IT band did F all for me too.

However a hockey ball in the hips and glutes def eases any back stiffness and opens up my hips.

Its a tool.

There may very well be contraindications to foam rolling in some situations. Same as anything in life. No idea what and in whom they'd be mind you?