Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How long "out of action" do you start to lose strength? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13113)

Dray 03-29-2013 04:09 AM

How long "out of action" do you start to lose strength?

Significantly, I mean.

Is it a matter of weeks, months, years...?

Generally speaking, anyway.

leefarley 03-29-2013 04:15 AM

i would say months and years and maybe a little bit over some weeks but if you have some strength base from previouse training it will come back allot quicker.

OHDL 03-29-2013 01:44 PM

Significantly? Matters what level of strength you're at but i'd say months.

brad1224 03-29-2013 01:46 PM

i would say noticeably losses would prob be a month or so. but if you keep up food intake then you will have better chance to keep it longer

Davis 03-30-2013 10:38 PM

I'm not sure about from just not going anymore. I lost over 25 pounds in a matter of a couple of weeks and my strength was at laughable numbers. I had mono which made things harder too, but still. At least with sickness, it can leave you almost as fast as you can blink.

syn 04-09-2013 05:33 PM

not sure, but maybe everyone is different?
I was squatting 100kg in mid jan, started again 2weeks at 60kg& it felt difficut.

hercules455 04-20-2013 08:41 PM

Varies probably with age but I think that after a few weeks of you will start losing some strength and it progresses the longer you are off of course. As long as you keep food up you should maintain muscle mass and strength will come back fast when you get back at it.

Jamesw 04-20-2013 09:22 PM

I was out 8 weeks when I got my bionic eyes, I lost about 8lbs but my lifts were pretty much at my baseline when I was able to get back.

IrishHitman 04-21-2013 01:03 AM

As a more extreme example, I was out of the gym for 2 years. In that time, I lost about 60 pounds (fat and muscle) and lost a good bit of strength. Luckily, I am in a physical line of work (cooking). Muscle memory is crazy, though. When I first started back in early January, I struggled with squatting 135 for reps. On my birthday, the 25th of February, I repped 225 for 25 reps.

MikeM 04-21-2013 01:29 AM

Strength is also a skill too. Not just something that is always available like you're grizzly adams or something. You can't just build up piles of muscles and then lay around waiting to use them to impress your friends. You have to keep feeding them. You play pool everyday for years, you get good. You leave it alone for a while, you still have the angles and knowledge, but not the sharpness. With strength you also lose the muscle mass too depending on how long you are away.

In my opinion to answer your question, you lose "strength" probabaly a month or two from when you stop needing it or making your body do it. But you lose the "skill" a lot quicker than that, maybe as soon as a week depending on your ability level and experience.

My .02