Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The dramatic decline of the modern man (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13096)

Gengaeldelse 03-27-2013 09:42 PM

The dramatic decline of the modern man

The dramatic decline of the modern man - Salon.com

Basically, we're all wimps.

gothamsreckoning 03-27-2013 09:48 PM

Interesting article, and probably not too far off. Women aren't quite as feminine as they used to be either.

SecondsOut 03-27-2013 10:41 PM

it's interesting to consider, but i'd like to see some of those claims backed up. like the one where we were once able to run long distances at the same speed as Olympic sprinters. also, he says: "In the case of the jaw, for example, it may have had something to do with allowing more space in the brain cavity. But I think it’s more to do with our move from the forest onto the savannah"

Well, our move from the forest to the savannah eventually resulted in us eating meat, and supposedly it was meat eating that contributed to our bigger brains. And chimpanzees may have more strength/power, but they have way less finer touch than we do and much less control over their strength.

Also, I question how accurately he can calculate the speed of Ancient Greek rowers... But hey, if his book motivates men to get off the couch, then it's a good book haha

gothamsreckoning 03-27-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondsOut (Post 343137)
it's interesting to consider, but i'd like to see some of those claims backed up. like the one where we were once able to run long distances at the same speed as Olympic sprinters. also, he says: "In the case of the jaw, for example, it may have had something to do with allowing more space in the brain cavity. But I think itís more to do with our move from the forest onto the savannah"

Well, our move from the forest to the savannah eventually resulted in us eating meat, and supposedly it was meat eating that contributed to our bigger brains.

Also, I question how accurately he can calculate the speed of Ancient Greek rowers...

If I had enough posts I'd put up a "look at the big brains on brett" clip from Pulp Fiction. Seriously though, I didn't really think of that.

Off Road 03-28-2013 09:32 AM

It's not just an issue of males getting weaker, I'm not sure that I buy into that since power lifting records still fall and men keep getting bigger and bigger with each generation. I think it's more of an issue with society in general. Liberal and [traditional] feminine qualities are glorified while traditionall masculine traits are frowned upon. Our kids are bombarded with messages of anti-gun, anti-bullying, anti-hunting, football is too dangerous, rodeo is animal cruelty, large trucks are bad for the environment, farming and ranching are poor career choices, eating meat is bad for you and unethical, and a host of other such nonsense. I personally blame the lack of male teachers in the younger student's education. It's no wonder that our male population is trending towards the female/liberal ideal. And far be it that we speak out against it or be labeled a Neanderthal.

bamazav 03-28-2013 10:19 AM

saw a tweet yesterday that summed OR up well.

"I am concerned about a world where our future leaders were never spanked as a child and were given trophies just for participating."

Off Road 03-28-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 343289)
"I am concerned about a world where our future leaders were never spanked as a child and were given trophies just for participating."

Oh wait, spanking is abusive. My parents abused the crap out of me. Maybe I should see a shrink about these issues.

Disclaimer:
I am making light of spanking, not downplaying abuse.

bruteforce 03-28-2013 10:42 AM

Pretty sure I can out deadlift most of my ancestors. I'm also taller and smarter than them.

BendtheBar 03-28-2013 10:45 AM

If men can be turned into insecure little twits, it is good for profitability. You can sell them all kinds of crap.

Remember the good old days when women used to laugh about how men didn't care if they had bellies? I do.

Off Road 03-28-2013 10:51 AM

Men and women are reaching a state of homeostasis; narrow hips, tiny waist, and large chests. Soon it will be hard to distinguish between them.