Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Really not THAT far off. . .

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Really not THAT far off. . .

Tell that guy to put his bra on!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Tell that guy to put his bra on!
Haha, funny but true. If they were wearing identical tops it would be even harder to see a difference.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

HMMmmmnn...?

!Kung Bushman live a pretty Primitive Life—or at least they did well into the 20th Century—back in the Present.

Yeah, those little dudes can run on par with an Olympic Marathon Runner—on a far more restricted Diet.

They cannot run at sprint speed over hill-and-dale the way the Article suggests.

Why are the Neanderthals extinct (or thoroughly absorbed)?

Well no one knows, but given their Physiques—Strong Dudes to be sure...

But Cro-Magnons could have quite literally run circles around a Neanderthal in a chase—and done it on perhaps 3600 Calories per day—for a large male—compared to 4800-5000 Calories per day for a 5"4" Neanderthal.

Folks who study Martial Arts dug out an Olde Tyme Booke describing what a Medieval Knight was supposed to be able to do in Armor.

It kinda puts a lie to the idea that those fellows stumbled into combat like a bunch of Arthritic Geriatrics under the Burden of their Armor...

In fact, they could do cartwheels and climb ladders and do Jungle Gym stuff...

But contemporary Practitioners—who did not have the advantage of training in Armor from earliest childhood—can still duplicate most of the Stunts.

{And no, Medieval Knights were not Pygmies—those tiny suits of Armor were Tailored for Medieval Children—in Training—and so many of those tiny suits survived precisely because they weren't abused in battle.}

You know, I argue that our values and Culture are becoming increasingly Effeminate...

But lets not make specious claims.

I did read that over the last 3000-5000 years, our facial features have become noticably less Robust (i.e. more Feminine Looking)

A girl in 3000 B.C. could have been considered quite feminine and pretty with a face like that the Average man's face today—sans beard, of course.

There may be other factors at play...

But it could be that both men and women, given a choice, prefer a "Prettier" (less robust) face.

And yes, there are a few men (and women) around who are trollish looking to the point that they cause sow pigs to miscarry from fright—but I'm talking about the Average.

Saxon Violence

Ps: Prefer a "Prettier" face in a Mate.

Prior to Plastic Surgery, one's preferences affected one's facial features not at all...

Last edited by SaxonViolence; 03-28-2013 at 03:24 PM.
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

I disagree with all this effeminate claptrap...people are people; to say that women are looking more like men or even getting stronger than men, is to relegate the female back to not bothering to lift weights or stay fit, petty much as a good percentage of men and women feel that women should be anyway...soft and weak, and then complain that they aren't able to lift the barbell. Why should a guy have to lift or be stronger than a woman just to be a man?

And, why shouldn't men, if they choose to, look good, without having to be considered as effeminate; it reeks of "boys shouldn't do ballet" style rubbish and stereotypical views, yet watch a full grown adult and be amazed at the control, strength and agility of the same thing that was critiqued as effeminate. Similarly, why shouldn't a woman sweat and vomit and burp?

Life is complex enough for men and women without having to pigeonhole us all; a woman has a problem having shorter hair than a male but a man can go around with a long ponytail, but, you'll still overhear young girls saying "I don't want my hair short, that's like a boy!"...seriously, how much longer would a woman have to grow her hair just to compete with the long-haired ponytailed wearing guy?

A bit off track but it really peeves me with all the men aren't real men crap and vice versa for women just because they don't fit some numbskulls view of what they want both genders to be.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

This article reminds me of a book I real "Houdini, Tarzan, and The Perfect Man" it catalogs masculinity from around 1900 in the United States. It is a wonderful read and actually got me interested in lifting heavy again.

That being said, I do feel that male masculinity is under attack in the US. Jobs that require physical labor are frounded upon and not having to do your own labor around the house is considered a sign of prosperity. I believe that a man shouldn't have a problem breaking a sweat, skipping a meal, and putting in the occasional 18 hour day.
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
gothamsreckoning
New Brawn
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16

Training Exp: 2.5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Mixed Greens
gothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good posts

Upon further reflection, this article is nothing more than shaming of men by the media. Sure, parts of it are true, because we (meaning "modern men") have bought into the past 20 some years of shaming by the media.
gothamsreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
It's not just an issue of males getting weaker, I'm not sure that I buy into that since power lifting records still fall and men keep getting bigger and bigger with each generation. I think it's more of an issue with society in general. Liberal and [traditional] feminine qualities are glorified while traditionall masculine traits are frowned upon. Our kids are bombarded with messages of anti-gun, anti-bullying, anti-hunting, football is too dangerous, rodeo is animal cruelty, large trucks are bad for the environment, farming and ranching are poor career choices, eating meat is bad for you and unethical, and a host of other such nonsense. I personally blame the lack of male teachers in the younger student's education. It's no wonder that our male population is trending towards the female/liberal ideal. And far be it that we speak out against it or be labeled a Neanderthal.
But it's not really to do with teachers, is it? Surely that's pinning a massive societal shift on one small factor?

Over the last century, women have gradually been acquiring more political and economic power, so it's not surprising that societal mores are starting to reflect this. I don't think we're in any position to complain - men have had their day in the sun for a very very long time. For centuries, men have dictated what the desirable qualities and values should be. It was never going to last forever. Another way of looking at this is to say it's about time the other half of the human race got a hand on the rudder.

I have mixed feelings about the shift. In some ways, I welcome it. I'm stereotyping here, but women are often more pragmatic, less selfish, less prone to doing stupid shit just to prove they're heroes, more willing to compromise. These can be good qualities in governance for example. Men are obsessed with the romantic ideal of Doing Their Own Thing and F**k Everyone Else. This may not be such a great way of going about things on a planet shared with seven billion other humans.

I think it's a bit rich to cast anyone speaking out about it as some sort of victim. C'mon OR, really? When the default insults for many Americans include:

'douchebag'
'whining about it like a little girl'
'pussy'
'bitch'
'fag'

etc etc?

The very language spoken (and in the UK too) explicitly links femininity/lack of masculinity/homosexuallity with everything that sucks (so to speak). I don't think there's any danger of being in a persecuted minority just yet

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Incidentally, it occurs to me that there's part of The Iliad where Homer complains about today's men not being a shadow of the men that once walked the earth.

This is relevant given that The Iliad is one of the earliest pieces of literature still surviving. If memory serves it was written about 800 BC. So nearly 3000 years ago, men were already complaining that men are no longer as good as they used to be.

Plus ca change...

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Up until, either WWI or WWII, I can't recall which, blue was a girl's colour with pink being associated with men, then there was a shift; but if you were to see a guy in pink, nowdays, they'd still get no end of ribbing...it's one of the reasons that I can't stand stereotypical rubbish which really isn't based on anything sensible but merely on a preconception or a forced view , that the public normally just accepts without question, and all because someone wants to make a name for themselves.

Men and women have certain biological differences (hormone ratios, skin thickness, strength, bodyfat levels etc) and that's where it ends, IMO.