Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Self abuse (am I the only one?) (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13046)

RGRthat 03-25-2013 07:34 AM

Self abuse (am I the only one?)

I work full time, am a full time student, try to be active in my church, and am married so I have a lot of different things that require my time. Last week was Spring break so I had some extra time. I decided to use one of my extra days off to spend way to much time in the gym. Rather than my normal 60 to 90 min workout I spent 3 1/2 hours. I was there so long that my wife asked if she was going to have to sleep alone that night. After that I could barely drive home and had to get my wife to help me put on my socks. Every movement hurt from lifting my arms to standing up, and it was wonderful.

Does anyone else ever just show up at the gym and think "Today I just want to stay here all day" or "I'm gonna work myself over today."

J_Byrd 03-25-2013 07:35 AM

Yes, I like to think its natural :D

Soldier 03-25-2013 07:40 AM

I don't like to train for long periods of time, but the whole "work myself over" part? Yeah, definitely. I've never been one to stick around long though. It's only in the last couple months that I've trained for longer than 1 1/2 hours.

Back when I did bodypart splits I would anhihilate my legs. I figured if I was only going to do them once a week I would just fry the crap out of them. Glad I don't think that way anymore!

RGRthat 03-25-2013 07:46 AM

I just had to tell someone who understood what I was talking about. Most people just don't seem to get it. Kinda like if I put "I just felt like spending all day playing call of duty" or something like that.

big_swede 03-25-2013 07:47 AM

Yes, sometimes I go have a pizza after a couple of hours then back to the weights.

Fun way to spend a weekend :)

RGRthat 03-25-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 341871)
Yes, sometimes I go have a pizza after a couple of hours then back to the weights.

Fun way to spend a weekend :)

That sounds like a fun way to hug a toilet for me. The only thing that is harder for me to handle during a workout than cheese is booze.

bgben3 03-25-2013 05:18 PM

I think its ok to do that every once in a while but definitely not all the time. Your body needs rest also. Especially with the busy day you already have with everything else going on in your life. Good thing is, is that you are young and your body can handle it. I tried doing a 2 workout a day type workout when I was in the Marines. Onces in the AM before marine life began than once in the PM after my day was finished. That didn't last too long. I soon realized that I was doing more harm than good for muscle growth. Just keep in mind that rest is just as important as killing it in the gym. Good luck

curlbrah 03-25-2013 06:19 PM

Yes I have overworked myself. I may often think just ten more minutes, which flies by and turns into 45.

quigs 03-25-2013 07:54 PM

Most days I am on a time schedule. I welcome the days when I can poke around at the gym and not have to hurry home to do anything:) This often means doing more work but hey it is fine by me:)

Soldier 03-25-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgben3 (Post 342153)
I think its ok to do that every once in a while but definitely not all the time. Your body needs rest also. Especially with the busy day you already have with everything else going on in your life. Good thing is, is that you are young and your body can handle it. I tried doing a 2 workout a day type workout when I was in the Marines. Onces in the AM before marine life began than once in the PM after my day was finished. That didn't last too long. I soon realized that I was doing more harm than good for muscle growth. Just keep in mind that rest is just as important as killing it in the gym. Good luck

It depends a lot on your goals though. Most of us aren't bodybuilders. If my goal was hypertrophy and looks I'd be training completely differently than I train now. I'd probably be training almost every day for around an hour. Instead, I go 4 days a week for 2 hours or more. Just another factor to consider.