Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
JJpete
New Brawn
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: sumo deadlifts
Fav Supp: Meat and potatoes
JJpete is off to a good startJJpete is off to a good startJJpete is off to a good start

Thanks, maybe i should clean it then squat haha. Everyone, including you, has great information and advice. It is much appreciated.
JJpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I have nothing but respect for someone who squats and is trying to do it right. I dont care if its just the bar! This is coming from a guy who can squat over 1k. So tell them to piss off lol!

Knee coming in is a form thing. Just work on forcing them out. Catch a video if you can and we will help you out.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
JJpete
New Brawn

JJpete is off to a good startJJpete is off to a good startJJpete is off to a good start

The support is great. My mind set is going to change now. I will try to get a video but my friend who I work out with just went on vacation so maybe when he gets back.

If I do get a video where should I post it?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpete View Post
Your right, I really do. My ego gets in he way because when I go to the gym I seem to see everyone from my high school there and there is only one squat rack. I don't want to be that guy squating 135 while everyone is waiting.

I am going to take your advice because its going to be better in the long run. Thank you
Hell no. Screw that! You do what you need to do. If someone is vain enough to talk crap about your lifting, then they're not worth a thought from you. I respect EVERY lifter I see who has perfect form, because I know it takes effort, time, and commitment. When I see someone take 400lb and "squat" it by going down 2 inches with horrible form I know they don't have the scrotum to check their egos at the door and do what they need to do to be better.

When I got back into the gym about 2 years ago I got lucky. The only powerlifter in the whole place took me under his wing and taught me to squat right. I could barely get 225 at a bodyweight of 210 if I used good form, but I stuck with it. Now I get a hell of a lot more than that, and I look damn good doing it,lol.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpete View Post
The support is great. My mind set is going to change now. I will try to get a video but my friend who I work out with just went on vacation so maybe when he gets back.

If I do get a video where should I post it?
You can either post it in the "form critique" thread, or start your own thread asking for advice. But be prepared, we'll probably have a lot to say. Just take your time and work on your form one piece at a time. When you're first working on your form use super light weight and go SLOW. Ben Hogan was a famous golfer. He was known for swinging in slow motion to work on his technique. He even "hit" a ball when he did this (it only went a few feet). He knew that slowing down let him pick apart every little piece of his form, so when he moved faster his body would know what to do.

Another big key for learning good form is to treat EVERY lift like its a heavy lift. When I warm up I start with the bar for everything, but if you watched me get ready you'd think I was going for a max. The mental focus, the setup checklist, I do everything like it's the real thing. If you do this, then when you actually DO have heavy weight you won't have to think about anything. It'll be just another lift.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn

Check this out. Pretty damn cool. This video is real time, NOT slow motion.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Posting a video to be critiqued will provide the pros here with some material to help you. We're fortunate to have the guys that we have on this forum because they only want to help you succeed. That means you may have to do several different squat critiques. Post a video, get feedback. Fix a couple issues. Post another, get more feedback. Rinse, lather, repeat. Stay with it, know that any advice your given is meant to help, not demean, and don't let gym brahs influence you. Stick around here and they'll be asking YOU for advice soon enough.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
madramhor
New Brawn
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: deadlift
madramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality posts

dropping the weight to practise yer form will help, but when ya do go `heavy` form is the first thing that i find goes, i had the same problem with my knees caving in and it all came from poor hip and hamstring flexibility, if ya work on that it should help with yer knees caving inwards,

also try doing body squats with a resistance band round yer knees, this will get yer body used to forcing yer knees out the way, should help man
madramhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
JJpete
New Brawn

Thanks for the advice. Should I send the video of me doing a heavy weight for me or the lighter weight with better from or both.

Thanks for the advice about stretching. I have been doing for about 2 months already and I can go all of the way down easy. Maybe I need to do more hip stretches though because my hips feel pretty tight. What are some hip stretches
Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
madramhor
New Brawn
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: deadlift
madramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality postsmadramhor has made some quality posts

i dont know the names on them man, if i can find them online ill link them to you. do you own a foam roller by any chance?
madramhor is offline   Reply With Quote