Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
dossas
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor
Default Working Out While Pregnant

Anyone have any guidance regarding kind of workouts (type of exercises, how much/frequency) a woman could do during pregnancy? I know the first thing to do is to talk to a doctor. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and/or knowledge regarding this.
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

My wife tried to keep running, but then the sickness overwhelmed her. From what I heard you can keep doing whatever you did pre-pregnancy, but not allowed to do anything new. Absolutely discuss with your doctor.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
northernbulk
Max Brawn
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: bench
Fav Supp: Whey iso
northernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributor

yoga
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I know that after month 6 you add 50kg to your squat from the belly bounce alone!

Ooooyeah!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Yeah, Yoga is something you should do.
I know my mum did that when she was pregnant with my two sisters, she swore by it.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossas View Post
Anyone have any guidance regarding kind of workouts (type of exercises, how much/frequency) a woman could do during pregnancy? I know the first thing to do is to talk to a doctor. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and/or knowledge regarding this.
When my wife was pregnant we did a ton of research. I learned a lot about this subject along the way.

First, exercising and training is one of the best things you can do while pregnant. You'll minimize bad weight gain (You'll gain weight, of course, but the need to gain lots of weight is a misconception. So is the idea that you should eat whatever you want.), and it's also been shown that woman who train while pregnant generally have easier deliveries, and actually end up with healthier babies. of course, this is a tendency and not a rule, but it seems worth it to me.

It's true that this isn't the time to add new things in. If you're a lifter, then keep lifting. If you like running for some reason, then keep doing it. But if you've never touched a weight, don't start while your pregnant.

WALK. It's one of the best things you can possibly do for your health and your back. yes, your ankles and back will probably ache some, but don't let this put you on the couch all the time. Again, it will be worth it in the end.

One thing to be aware of is that you will become more flexible as your pregnancy progresses. The body releases a hormone that loosens your joints. This is in preparation for the dilation of the hips during labor, but it effects the whole body in the months leading up to birth. If you decide to do something like yoga, then be aware that you'll be able to stretch further than ever before, which can lead to injuries. DON'T push it, although it's true that yoga and light stretching are great during pregnancy. It will keep your back from tightening up from carrying around extra weight all the time.

If you are lifting, then about a month into the pregnancy you'll need to stop doing any exercises that involve laying flat on your back, such as a flat bench press. This position cuts off blood to the womb, which would obviously be very bad. Incline movements, however, are just fine. It's only flat on your back, parallel to the ground, where the problems occur.

Squats are one of the best things you can do. If you haven't lifted before, then just do bodyweight squats every couple days, but doing it with weight is preferable. Strengthening the hip girdle will make the birthing process easier, and also promote quicker healing afterwards.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Oh, by the way, your doctor will probably advise against lifting anything over 15lb. This is ONLY true if you don't normally lift. If you've been lifting for a while, you can keep lifting just like before, but don't worry about progression. You can actually lift quite heavy with no ill effects, as long as you'd already been lifting heavy before. I've heard stories of women deadlifting over 200lb only a couple days before they were induced.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossas View Post
It depends on the woman, any complications, whether she has worked out up until the pregnancy; it's impossible to answer as a generalised question.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
muscletom
New Brawn
Points: 232, Level: 4 Points: 232, Level: 4 Points: 232, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

muscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good posts

I have heard great things about yoga for pregnant ladies. They say that it helps with the delivery.
muscletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
dossas
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor
Default Thanks for the responses

Appreciate all the input.

Just FYI...I asked the question for my wife

Although, I've heard a lot of good things about yoga for strength atheletes.
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote