Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Working Out While Pregnant (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12948)

dossas 03-18-2013 11:29 PM

Working Out While Pregnant

Anyone have any guidance regarding kind of workouts (type of exercises, how much/frequency) a woman could do during pregnancy? I know the first thing to do is to talk to a doctor. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and/or knowledge regarding this.

fenrisulfr 03-18-2013 11:35 PM

My wife tried to keep running, but then the sickness overwhelmed her. From what I heard you can keep doing whatever you did pre-pregnancy, but not allowed to do anything new. Absolutely discuss with your doctor.

northernbulk 03-18-2013 11:40 PM

yoga

big_swede 03-19-2013 05:02 AM

I know that after month 6 you add 50kg to your squat from the belly bounce alone!

Ooooyeah!

LindenGarcia18 03-19-2013 05:56 AM

Yeah, Yoga is something you should do.
I know my mum did that when she was pregnant with my two sisters, she swore by it.

Soldier 03-19-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dossas (Post 338473)
Anyone have any guidance regarding kind of workouts (type of exercises, how much/frequency) a woman could do during pregnancy? I know the first thing to do is to talk to a doctor. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience and/or knowledge regarding this.

When my wife was pregnant we did a ton of research. I learned a lot about this subject along the way.

First, exercising and training is one of the best things you can do while pregnant. You'll minimize bad weight gain (You'll gain weight, of course, but the need to gain lots of weight is a misconception. So is the idea that you should eat whatever you want.), and it's also been shown that woman who train while pregnant generally have easier deliveries, and actually end up with healthier babies. of course, this is a tendency and not a rule, but it seems worth it to me.

It's true that this isn't the time to add new things in. If you're a lifter, then keep lifting. If you like running for some reason, then keep doing it. But if you've never touched a weight, don't start while your pregnant.

WALK. It's one of the best things you can possibly do for your health and your back. yes, your ankles and back will probably ache some, but don't let this put you on the couch all the time. Again, it will be worth it in the end.

One thing to be aware of is that you will become more flexible as your pregnancy progresses. The body releases a hormone that loosens your joints. This is in preparation for the dilation of the hips during labor, but it effects the whole body in the months leading up to birth. If you decide to do something like yoga, then be aware that you'll be able to stretch further than ever before, which can lead to injuries. DON'T push it, although it's true that yoga and light stretching are great during pregnancy. It will keep your back from tightening up from carrying around extra weight all the time.

If you are lifting, then about a month into the pregnancy you'll need to stop doing any exercises that involve laying flat on your back, such as a flat bench press. This position cuts off blood to the womb, which would obviously be very bad. Incline movements, however, are just fine. It's only flat on your back, parallel to the ground, where the problems occur.

Squats are one of the best things you can do. If you haven't lifted before, then just do bodyweight squats every couple days, but doing it with weight is preferable. Strengthening the hip girdle will make the birthing process easier, and also promote quicker healing afterwards.

Soldier 03-19-2013 08:07 AM

Oh, by the way, your doctor will probably advise against lifting anything over 15lb. This is ONLY true if you don't normally lift. If you've been lifting for a while, you can keep lifting just like before, but don't worry about progression. You can actually lift quite heavy with no ill effects, as long as you'd already been lifting heavy before. I've heard stories of women deadlifting over 200lb only a couple days before they were induced.

5kgLifter 03-20-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dossas (Post 338473)

It depends on the woman, any complications, whether she has worked out up until the pregnancy; it's impossible to answer as a generalised question.

muscletom 03-20-2013 07:48 PM

I have heard great things about yoga for pregnant ladies. They say that it helps with the delivery.

dossas 04-09-2013 01:17 PM

Thanks for the responses

Appreciate all the input.

Just FYI...I asked the question for my wife :)

Although, I've heard a lot of good things about yoga for strength atheletes.