Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Essential Strength Training and Bodybuilding Books (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289)

BendtheBar 11-23-2009 07:40 PM

Essential Strength Training and Bodybuilding Books

Please list your essential books in this thread.

BendtheBar 11-23-2009 07:41 PM

Better Than Steroids

by Dr. Warren Willey

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

Product Description
Better Than Steroids! is a summary of what you need to know to be a successful bodybuilder, athlete or just to look freaking good. It covers in a stepwise fashion, the information you need to succeed. I will review why and how anabolic steroids work, which will lead us into why food programs, eating plans and tricks like the pre and post workout meal are not only comparable to anabolic steroids, but better! I will review the importance of tracking your body composition, as those who are meticulous enough to do so are the ones who keep improving. I will give you a quick synopsis of water, and will review information directly from What Does Your Doctor Look like Naked? Your Guide to Optimal Health such as Food Timing and The Free Window.

The meat of the book is the eating plans. I have reviewed the top four eating plans for guaranteed success. They come with detailed instructions on how they work, when they work best, and how to design one for yourself. From leaning up to bulking up, these are the eating plans that work. They teach you how to use the most powerful drug out there, food, to your advantage. I say it all the time, "Anyone can exercise, but only the ones who know HOW to eat make improvements!"

This is followed by the pre and post workout meals, the most important meals in a bodybuilder's day. With this information on utilization of these powerful meals, mass gain is optimized, fat is burned, soreness is reduced and recovery is enhanced! I then cover glycogen supercomensation, a dominant technique in the quest for maximal muscle gain. BTS started out with a full chapter on supplements, but near the end I felt it was more important and beneficial to get the eating plans understood, as this is the true power in a bodybuilder's bag of tricks. I have included a few supplements' in an appendix, and will plan to use the rest in future books.

There is a detailed review of the most successful cardio routine out there, the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) program. There is a section on weight lifting practices, as monotony in the gym will be the death of your goal attainment. Finally, BTS provides some algorithms for putting all the information together for your optimal achievement.

BendtheBar 11-23-2009 07:44 PM

Training For Mass

by Gordon Lavelle

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

Product Description
The definitive guide for building muscle: Training for Mass is a comprehensive, intelligent guide for constructing effective and efficient weight training workouts. It also offers a scientific analysis of current popular weight training strategies, and demonstrates how the vast majority of workout routines are neither scientific nor effective.

Based on observations about how the human body responds to exercise, Training for Mass advocates a less-is-more approach, and shows how spending endless hours in the gym is counterproductive and even harmful--debunking the myth that building muscle requires a great investment of time.

Training for Mass is not a picture book; rather, it is filled with useful information. Nor is it a rigid scientific journal or text book; the author draws upon unusual examples and provides uncommon insight into the factors required for success in weight training.

BendtheBar 11-23-2009 07:53 PM

Brawn

by Stuart McRobert

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

Most bodybuilding books are alike. They are typically a collection of photographs of bodybuilding superstars, together with training routines that never work for the average person. Brawn is totally different and directly challenges most contemporary bodybuilding advice. Most importantly, Brawn focuses on the techniques, routines and strategies that actually work for typical bodybuilders.

JesseA 11-23-2009 10:39 PM

Here's a few...

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1
Elite Fitness Systems - 5/3/1

New Rules of Lifting - Lou Schuler, Alwyn Cosgrove
The New Rules of Lifting

Maximum Strength - Eric Cressey
Maximum Strength

Bodybygamma 11-23-2009 10:42 PM

Starting Strength 2nd Edition

Grim83 11-23-2009 11:45 PM

dinosaur training

glwanabe 11-24-2009 06:40 AM

I really like "Brawn". It's all about basics, and getting it done old school.

BendtheBar 11-24-2009 08:18 AM

"Z Last Book You'll Ever Need On Strength Training"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

Product Description
"Z Last Book You'll Ever Need On Strength Training" is the only strength training book that gives you the weight to use for every single rep, every single set, every single exercise for every single workout throughout the entire strength training cycle. There is no guess work. You don't have to figure out what I'm trying to say.......I say it! If you want to increase your 1 Rep Max this is the one and only book you need. Just look at the reviews: BILL KAZMAIER- This book will give you all you need to plan your quest for greater strength. Follow the guidelines of proven training methodology and the rest is simple. You add 1 part hard work with the programs in Todd's book and you get 2 parts muscle & strength. His insightful paths to successful training will transform your body into a kinetic machine. If youre looking for a practical & proven program, look no further. You hold in your hands Z Last Book you'll ever need to get strong. FRANCO COLUMBU D.C.- I found the title perfectly fits the book as it definitely is the only strength book youll ever need. All the information necessary to achieve maximum strength is included and as well as being accurate its easy to understand. (Todd) did all the hard work for the lifter, now it is up to them to do the easy part: Follow the directions and start training. Its that simple! I would definitely recommend this book to my patients who seek to achieve a different level of training and strength and actually one of the most asked question in my office from bodybuilders, weight lifters and regular gym goers is How can I lift more, how can I become more powerful. Well now I will have an easy answer for them as I can just point to (Todds) book and feel confident that they will get all the information they need. Also are outstanding reviews by:Phil Pfister, Joe Weider, Mark Philippi, Dr. Terry Todd and Mike Lambert!!!

Grim83 02-22-2010 03:39 PM

Muscle revoloution- chad waterbury

Power to the people- Pavel

From the ground up- Dan John