Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Greu
Brawn
Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beta Alanine
Greu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributor
Default Butt wink problem

Does it make you more prone to lower back injuries if your butt wink when getting to parallel and beyond (my butt starts winking when I almost get to parallel)?

I know what my problem is and why it winks so fast. Tight hamstrings and low flexibility in hamstrings. Even after I stretch them they are still basically tight and my butt still winks.

Any advice on what I should to?

Thank you in advance!

If you let yourself influenced negatively by others then you're following the path to failure.
Greu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Personally I don't think it's a massive risk to the lower back.

The greater concern in my opinion is the transfer of power from the hamstrings. At the bottom what should happen is the lower back remain solid which provides stretch to the hamstrings and forces them to contract hard with the stretch reflex.

If you lose tension at that point, the transfer of power from the hamstrings is lost making the movement less efficient and lowers the contribution of the hamstrings. For me that's the bigger worry, it can lead to other problems down the road.

So yes, continue to stretch all relevant areas and work toward less winking.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Greu
Brawn

Greu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Personally I don't think it's a massive risk to the lower back.

The greater concern in my opinion is the transfer of power from the hamstrings. At the bottom what should happen is the lower back remain solid which provides stretch to the hamstrings and forces them to contract hard with the stretch reflex.

If you lose tension at that point, the transfer of power from the hamstrings is lost making the movement less efficient and lowers the contribution of the hamstrings. For me that's the bigger worry, it can lead to other problems down the road.

So yes, continue to stretch all relevant areas and work toward less winking.
How often should I stretch?

I've started stretching before I go to sleep for about 10-15 minutes, stretching my hip flexors and my hamstrings mainly. Should I do more stretching sessions throughout the day or is one enough? And how long should I hold a stretch cause at the moment I am holding the stretches for about 1 minute.

If you let yourself influenced negatively by others then you're following the path to failure.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

If you're still inflexible then the only real answer is to do more.

Look up a guy called Dr Stark, he has some material on stretching and stretches which you can do. Also there is a bunch of stuff on youtube, a simple search should yield answers.

The only thing I would question is whether you're definitely certain it is hamstrings. I think unless you've had some catastrophic hamstring injury in the past which makes you certain it is them, you would do well to remember that muscles rarely become inflexible by themselves. A little more experimentation in that area may highlight some other areas of attention.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Greu
Brawn

I have a bit of an anterior pelvic tilt, therefore my hip flexors are also tight, but when it comes to hamstrings I basically cannot touch my toes with my fingers unless I bend the knees quite a lot.

The thing is after I do squats my hamstrings are sore (in case I didn't train for a couple of weeks) therefore I am thinking that they might work with my squatting. I may be wrong.

Returning to the flexibility issues. My ankles are really flexible so they aren't the problem. As I said above, I cannot touch my toes with my fingers unless I bend the knees quite a lot so that's why I am thinking it's my hamstrings along with the hip flexors.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn

If you're confident then okay. It's hard for me to assess from here, so I'm happy to accept your opinion on it.

I just know that things rarely become tight in isolation. The body doesn't work that way.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Greu
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
If you're confident then okay. It's hard for me to assess from here, so I'm happy to accept your opinion on it.

I just know that things rarely become tight in isolation. The body doesn't work that way.
I've never had any injuries with my legs besides a knee injury 4 years ago. The thing is I've always had tight hamstrings, since forever. I remember trying to solve this around 5 to 6 years ago but I quit cause I was too immature and expected to see results in a matter of days.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn

Hamstrings shouldn't take too long to stretch out by themselves.

But not to beat the drum yet again... things rarely become tight in isolation. So I would concentrate on more movement and sport specific stretching. So you're pushing movement patterns rather than muscles.

So stuff like wall stretches and just sitting in the bottom position of the squat with an unloaded barbell for 1 minute at a time. That way you don't need to know exactly what's tight, everything relevant gets stretched.

Certainly some muscle specific stretches alongside that can help. But the movement specific stretches will ultimately have more impact quicker.

Last edited by Fazc; 02-19-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Greu
Brawn

Thank you very much for the pieces of advice.

Will look into some wall stretches and combine them with just pause squatting and basic static stretches. Will see what happens, hopefully in a month I can at least hit parallel without winking.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn

You're welcome. Good luck.