Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New knee pain (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12537)

ChrisTheViking 02-18-2013 04:11 PM

New knee pain

I just started working out again, and I've been doing some jump rope, and some walking and jogging. I have started to notice some pain on the inside of my right knee, I'm not sure if it's my MCL or something else, but I'm a heavy guy. Could this just be that I am trying to do too much at once after not doing anything for about 11 years?

BendtheBar 02-18-2013 06:32 PM

I would chill with the high impact stuff and maybe do walking, swimming or kettlebell. Just moving will burn cals.

ChrisTheViking 02-18-2013 06:58 PM

Thanks, I will definitely start scaling it back a bit. I just got super excited that I was up and doing something to start my way back to being healthy, and eventually being big again but this time with muscle mass, that I got a little overzealous.

BendtheBar 02-18-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisTheViking (Post 326214)
Thanks, I will definitely start scaling it back a bit. I just got super excited that I was up and doing something to start my way back to being healthy, and eventually being big again but this time with muscle mass, that I got a little overzealous.

I know how it goes. I am a bigger guy myself. I tried doing HIIT sprints on the treadmill.

If you own a kettlebell try HIIT type swings in between treadmill walking. This combo is great for burning cals.

tank316 02-18-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 326222)
I know how it goes. I am a bigger guy myself. I tried doing HIIT sprints on the treadmill.

If you own a kettlebell try HIIT type swings in between treadmill walking. This combo is great for burning cals.

Yep, bigger guys and sprinting not a good mix...
I like what Steve suggested also. Its a good mix.I use the Airdyne bike at our center for intervals as well. I switch it up, I use my arms only, then my legs then my arms and legs. in 20 minutes its a swimming pool under the bike,LOL
Can you bike with your knee's hurting???

jdmalm123 02-18-2013 07:34 PM

Agree with limiting/avoiding the ballistic stuff.

Stretch and massage your plantar fascia, Achilles tendon and calves.

Tight feet will often show up in the knee first.

ChrisTheViking 02-18-2013 09:43 PM

I can't thank all of you guys enough. It is nice to find a forum that isn't Trollville.

5kgLifter 02-20-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisTheViking (Post 326175)
I just started working out again, and I've been doing some jump rope, and some walking and jogging. I have started to notice some pain on the inside of my right knee, I'm not sure if it's my MCL or something else, but I'm a heavy guy. Could this just be that I am trying to do too much at once after not doing anything for about 11 years?

I agree with the other posters; strangely though, it's not always weight related. I have an issue with one knee and for the life of me, much as I want to, jump rope irritates it no end, so I end up having to stop within a few days and then only after having done a few minutes; on the other hand, using a step (aerobic step), even at speed, does not cause issues at all...but, to be fair, the step would have less impact than jumping rope.

KB swings would definitely do the trick, snatches would be even better, if you could master the technique...and there's no real need to go heavy, initially, you'd be surprised how much volume you can get done in a 20-minute period.

ChrisTheViking 02-20-2013 04:51 PM

As soon as the ol tax return comes in I'm going to get some kettlebells. Thanks for the help.

IronWill 02-20-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisTheViking (Post 327147)
As soon as the ol tax return comes in I'm going to get some kettlebells. Thanks for the help.

They are a great tool to have around. You'll be surprised how winded a little KB work will get you. :)