Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
ChrisTheViking
Brawn
Points: 1,142, Level: 18 Points: 1,142, Level: 18 Points: 1,142, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Supp: Juggernaut HP
ChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good posts
Default New knee pain

I just started working out again, and I've been doing some jump rope, and some walking and jogging. I have started to notice some pain on the inside of my right knee, I'm not sure if it's my MCL or something else, but I'm a heavy guy. Could this just be that I am trying to do too much at once after not doing anything for about 11 years?
ChrisTheViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would chill with the high impact stuff and maybe do walking, swimming or kettlebell. Just moving will burn cals.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
ChrisTheViking
Brawn

ChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good posts

Thanks, I will definitely start scaling it back a bit. I just got super excited that I was up and doing something to start my way back to being healthy, and eventually being big again but this time with muscle mass, that I got a little overzealous.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTheViking View Post
Thanks, I will definitely start scaling it back a bit. I just got super excited that I was up and doing something to start my way back to being healthy, and eventually being big again but this time with muscle mass, that I got a little overzealous.
I know how it goes. I am a bigger guy myself. I tried doing HIIT sprints on the treadmill.

If you own a kettlebell try HIIT type swings in between treadmill walking. This combo is great for burning cals.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
tank316
Brawn
Points: 3,462, Level: 36 Points: 3,462, Level: 36 Points: 3,462, Level: 36
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I know how it goes. I am a bigger guy myself. I tried doing HIIT sprints on the treadmill.

If you own a kettlebell try HIIT type swings in between treadmill walking. This combo is great for burning cals.
Yep, bigger guys and sprinting not a good mix...
I like what Steve suggested also. Its a good mix.I use the Airdyne bike at our center for intervals as well. I switch it up, I use my arms only, then my legs then my arms and legs. in 20 minutes its a swimming pool under the bike,LOL
Can you bike with your knee's hurting???
tank316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Agree with limiting/avoiding the ballistic stuff.

Stretch and massage your plantar fascia, Achilles tendon and calves.

Tight feet will often show up in the knee first.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
ChrisTheViking
Brawn

I can't thank all of you guys enough. It is nice to find a forum that isn't Trollville.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
I just started working out again, and I've been doing some jump rope, and some walking and jogging. I have started to notice some pain on the inside of my right knee, I'm not sure if it's my MCL or something else, but I'm a heavy guy. Could this just be that I am trying to do too much at once after not doing anything for about 11 years?
I agree with the other posters; strangely though, it's not always weight related. I have an issue with one knee and for the life of me, much as I want to, jump rope irritates it no end, so I end up having to stop within a few days and then only after having done a few minutes; on the other hand, using a step (aerobic step), even at speed, does not cause issues at all...but, to be fair, the step would have less impact than jumping rope.

KB swings would definitely do the trick, snatches would be even better, if you could master the technique...and there's no real need to go heavy, initially, you'd be surprised how much volume you can get done in a 20-minute period.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
ChrisTheViking
Brawn

As soon as the ol tax return comes in I'm going to get some kettlebells. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Quote:
As soon as the ol tax return comes in I'm going to get some kettlebells. Thanks for the help.
They are a great tool to have around. You'll be surprised how winded a little KB work will get you.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote