Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Increasing Hip and Lumbar Flexibility (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12285)

SCStrong 01-23-2013 10:13 AM

Increasing Hip and Lumbar Flexibility

Hip and lower back flexibility can severely limit squat depth (Along with everything else we do) ...... So, what exercises will increase flexibility in these areas? I assume that more squats eventually equals better, deeper squats but what else can be done?? Thoughts?

Paradox 01-23-2013 10:17 AM

There's an absolute TON over at MobilityWOD

I'm not a fan of the thought of having a flexibile lower back. It should be tight, it's meant to be upright. Others will probably disagree, and I'm not sure what KStarr thinks about it (honestly never looked into low back, I've never had issues).

As for hips, some of the ones I like are banded scissor/lunge position for anterior hip capsule, exploring the depths and regions around a front foot elevated jerk position, and a few others. More squats will definitely help you become more mobile for that specific movement.

SCStrong 01-23-2013 11:53 AM

I cannot speak for all, but for me, my lack of lower back flexibility is beyond " just being tight". I agree a loose (i.e. weak and soft ) anything is not good. But, my lower back has gotten to the point it is limiting my activities - Chronic inflexibility. Something needs to give. I know, I know, JUST SQUAT MORE, right?

SCStrong 01-23-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox (Post 315870)
There's an absolute TON over at MobilityWOD

bruteforce 01-23-2013 11:55 AM

Is it your back and hips for sure? It could be, but I know I thought my hips were awful until I worked on ankle mobility and pushing my knees out at the bottom of the squat. Fixed most everything;

Bill 01-23-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 315922)
Is it your back and hips for sure? It could be, but I know I thought my hips were awful until I worked on ankle mobility and pushing my knees out at the bottom of the squat. Fixed most everything;

THIS!!!

Paradox 01-23-2013 12:05 PM

I'd like to third what bruteforce said. Over at mwod, Kelly Starrett (and others, I'm sure) like's to say we're a system of systems. Often, low back pain is a hip issue, hip issue a knee issue, knee issue an ankle issue, or any combination of all of these and other areas.

Squatting more builds a very specific mobility. It builds the exact same motion as the squat. So if that's not what you're looking for, squatting more probably (it might) won't help.

Edit: Grammar. Why am I awful at typing on forums?

SCStrong 01-23-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 315922)

I sit a lot!! ( Job related ) so I know that my back and hips ( really, my entire pelvic girdle) are tight .... but I probably need ankle and knee work too. I will start a separate thread for that one.

Like many, I train 4 to 5 days a week 1 to 1.5 hrs a day but that seems to do little to offset the 8 to 10 hours I have to spend sitting down. I have been considering using rest days just for stretching and mobility work- hence, the reason I asked the original question. Need to get on the "right path"

BendtheBar 01-23-2013 12:10 PM

Sometimes guys are just squatting too wide for their own good. This is hard on the hips.

Paradox 01-23-2013 12:11 PM

Also, here's what comes up when you search Lumbar on mwod: Lumbar | Mobility WOD

A few videos to watch, and often about hips.