Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SLDL (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12235)

5kgLifter 01-17-2013 03:21 PM

SLDL

SLDL:

Straight-legged DL
Stiff-legged DL

Saw this on tv, the other day, and thought it may be interesting to bring up for discussion.

I always assumed they were one and the same but a guy stated that the stiff-legged DL meant exactly that and was different to a straight-legged DL.

So, the difference lies in the fact that the straight-legged DL requires straight legs with no bend at the knee, whereas the stiff-legged DL has a slight knee bend with fixed position legs which are not straight.

Which means that on occasion, I have been doing SLDLs and at other times I did SLDLs but who knew? :)

nighttrain 01-17-2013 03:29 PM

you got me Babs... i thought it was the same also.... i do them and try to keep my legs straight with as little bend as possible...

BendtheBar 01-17-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 313506)
SLDL:

Straight-legged DL
Stiff-legged DL

Saw this on tv, the other day, and thought it may be interesting to bring up for discussion.

I always assumed they were one and the same but a guy stated that the stiff-legged DL meant exactly that and was different to a straight-legged DL.

So, the difference lies in the fact that the straight-legged DL requires straight legs with no bend at the knee, whereas the stiff-legged DL has a slight knee bend with fixed position legs which are not straight.

Which means that on occasion, I have been doing SLDLs and at other times I did SLDLs but who knew? :)

Me :)

I am anal about these variations. It drives me cuckoo that people don't know the differences. Mental tick.

Fazc 01-17-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 313506)

I prefer SLDL out of those two, just my preference.

Stiff Leg is the only safe one in my book, Straight Leg is unnatural because the hamstring ties under the knee. So if your knee is locked out, you're putting a massive strain on the hamstring tendon where it gets cut off by the knee joint.

Go stiff legged, go heavy.

Hunterace 01-17-2013 07:09 PM

I only knew about that from an article that someone wrote about it ^BtB^;)

J_Byrd 01-17-2013 07:29 PM

We use both. A stuff leg, normally from a deficit for heavy deads. A straight leg for stretching, with light weights.

BigJosh 01-17-2013 07:47 PM

I am going to throw something out for the conversation. I always thought Stiff legged or straight legged deadlifts (pick one) started and ended on the ground, just like a regular deadlift. And Romanian deadlifts, start and end in the hang position and don't touch the ground.
Apparently this isn't the consensus. What say you?

EliteDreams 01-17-2013 08:21 PM

Stiff/straight hangs the bar out,kindaish like a goodmorningish.

Romanian keeps the bar riding your legs like a real dead. Neither of these touch the ground to my knowledge. I've only done romanian.

jdmalm123 01-17-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteDreams (Post 313627)
Stiff/straight hangs the bar out,kindaish like a goodmorningish.

Romanian keeps the bar riding your legs like a real dead. Neither of these touch the ground to my knowledge. I've only done romanian.

I prefer RDLs (Romanian), which I thought was the same as stiff-legged...

Anyone try ADLs? (A for "American")

moeheep 01-17-2013 09:48 PM

This entire topic...all 3 lifts.....are covered extensively in Steve's Blog..."Huge Gainer"

Comparing Stiff Leg Deadlifts And Romanian Deadlifts | Huge Gainer