Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
sandraW
New Brawn
Points: 497, Level: 9 Points: 497, Level: 9 Points: 497, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

sandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good postssandraW has made some good posts
Default Input please

Okay so for almost a week I have been on my blood pressure meds. But everyday since Monday I get a really bad headache, almost feels like a migraine. I looked at the side effects and headache is listed as one of them. I just want my BP to go down to a healthy level and I am willing to take the pills but do you think I should call the dr. and see if there is something else that she could put me on? She put me on this one bc last year we were considering getting pregnant, but then the year did not go as expected so we stopped trying. We may try this year in a month or so, but have not really decided.
sandraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Go back to your Doctor. I would also stop taking them until then. There are other ways to get your BP down. I'm not an expert, so I can't really recco anything, but talk to the person who put you on them, and explain your concerns.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Definitely talk to your doctor, but your BP will also go down as you continue to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I even got rid of asthma when I lost weight.

BTW, a healthy diet has also been shown to have a positive effect on fertility. Also, training with weights helps with both pregnancy as well as giving birth, especially movements like squats and deadlifts.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Try going low carb for 4 weeks. Give it a test. Increase fats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraW View Post
Okay so for almost a week I have been on my blood pressure meds. But everyday since Monday I get a really bad headache, almost feels like a migraine. I looked at the side effects and headache is listed as one of them. I just want my BP to go down to a healthy level and I am willing to take the pills but do you think I should call the dr. and see if there is something else that she could put me on? She put me on this one bc last year we were considering getting pregnant, but then the year did not go as expected so we stopped trying. We may try this year in a month or so, but have not really decided.
Don't know your age, weight, etc., but I had a female client who was 50+, very overweight and on BP meds....within a few months of training consistently, she was able to half her dosages....

In the first 2 years she also went from barely able to get out of a chair 10 times in a row to doing 100+ mile bike rides, a 2-day 39-mile Avon Walk for The Cure, dead lift 135 lbs, swing a sledgehammer and all other useful things!

When she was doing all the new stuff, she was still over 200 lbs and over 30% body fat.

The point being, your health can improve and your dependency on meds decrease, long before you feel like you've accomplished your appearance related goals.

That said, don't change medication dosages or stop without talking to your doctor (unless she gave you prior instructions). However, BP meds are definitely something you do not need forever if you continue putting in your time to get healthier.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Jdmalm offers some good advice, don't quit meds until you check with doc first. Some meds cause horrible problems if not weaned off. Call them before you stop.

I would also echo what the others have said health and weight.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Jesda
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

Call your doc and see what she says. I see your concerns and they are very valid. Hopefully in a few months you will not even need the pills anymore if you keep working out and eating right.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Fruits and Vegetables that Lower Blood Pressure

All vegetables - Great sources of complex carbohydrates and fiber

Vegetables High in Potassium - boiled Swiss Chard, Romaine Lettuce, Crimini mushrooms, boiled spinach, raw celery, boiled mustard greens, raw fennel, eggplant, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts.

Vegetables High in Magnesium - boiled Swiss Chard, boiled spinach, mustard greens, summer squash, broccoli, turnip greens, pumpkin seeds.

Vegetables High in Calcium - Spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, Swiss chard, kale, romaine lettuce, broccoli, fennel, cabbage, green beans.

Fruits and Vegetables High in Vitamin C - broccoli, bell peppers, kale, cauliflower, strawberries, lemons, mustard and turnip greens, Brussels sprouts, papaya, cabbage, spinach, kiwifruit, snow peas, cantaloupe, oranges, grapefruit, limes, tomatoes, zucchini, raspberries, asparagus, celery.

Fruits and Vegetables High in Vitamin E - mustard greens, turnip greens, chard, spinach, kale, papaya, olives, bell pepper, Brussels sprouts, kiwi, tomatoes, blueberries, broccoli.

Vegetables High in Vitamin B3 - mushrooms, asparagus.

Vegetables High in Nitrates - Beets

Three vegetables that aren't on the above lists are garlic, onions, and celery. These three are well known for lowering blood pressure. Garlic and onions are high in sulfuric-containing compounds and celery contains 3-n-butyl phthalide, which lowers blood pressure. Make sure you include these vegetables in your diet as well.

I got the above online and saved to my files but don't remember from where...

Also Passion fruit juice is awesome to control HBP ...
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
squatz1000
New Brawn
Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4

squatz1000 has made some quality postssquatz1000 has made some quality postssquatz1000 has made some quality postssquatz1000 has made some quality postssquatz1000 has made some quality postssquatz1000 has made some quality postssquatz1000 has made some quality posts

I heard that drinking cranberry juice as well will lower your BP. Having a glass a day decreased many's BP in a study they did.
squatz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
gavida89
New Brawn
Points: 362, Level: 7 Points: 362, Level: 7 Points: 362, Level: 7

gavida89 has made some quality postsgavida89 has made some quality postsgavida89 has made some quality postsgavida89 has made some quality postsgavida89 has made some quality postsgavida89 has made some quality posts

A study was also done about yogurt and eating it can lower your BP. Just consume it every three days the study said. I can not remember the amount, maybe just one of the small containers?
gavida89 is offline   Reply With Quote