Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Input please (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12233)

sandraW 01-17-2013 01:42 PM

Input please

Okay so for almost a week I have been on my blood pressure meds. But everyday since Monday I get a really bad headache, almost feels like a migraine. I looked at the side effects and headache is listed as one of them. I just want my BP to go down to a healthy level and I am willing to take the pills but do you think I should call the dr. and see if there is something else that she could put me on? She put me on this one bc last year we were considering getting pregnant, but then the year did not go as expected so we stopped trying. We may try this year in a month or so, but have not really decided.

ricka182 01-17-2013 01:48 PM

Go back to your Doctor. I would also stop taking them until then. There are other ways to get your BP down. I'm not an expert, so I can't really recco anything, but talk to the person who put you on them, and explain your concerns.

Soldier 01-17-2013 04:32 PM

Definitely talk to your doctor, but your BP will also go down as you continue to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I even got rid of asthma when I lost weight.

BTW, a healthy diet has also been shown to have a positive effect on fertility. Also, training with weights helps with both pregnancy as well as giving birth, especially movements like squats and deadlifts.

BendtheBar 01-17-2013 07:55 PM

Try going low carb for 4 weeks. Give it a test. Increase fats.

jdmalm123 01-17-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandraW (Post 313452)
Okay so for almost a week I have been on my blood pressure meds. But everyday since Monday I get a really bad headache, almost feels like a migraine. I looked at the side effects and headache is listed as one of them. I just want my BP to go down to a healthy level and I am willing to take the pills but do you think I should call the dr. and see if there is something else that she could put me on? She put me on this one bc last year we were considering getting pregnant, but then the year did not go as expected so we stopped trying. We may try this year in a month or so, but have not really decided.

Don't know your age, weight, etc., but I had a female client who was 50+, very overweight and on BP meds....within a few months of training consistently, she was able to half her dosages....

In the first 2 years she also went from barely able to get out of a chair 10 times in a row to doing 100+ mile bike rides, a 2-day 39-mile Avon Walk for The Cure, dead lift 135 lbs, swing a sledgehammer and all other useful things!

When she was doing all the new stuff, she was still over 200 lbs and over 30% body fat.

The point being, your health can improve and your dependency on meds decrease, long before you feel like you've accomplished your appearance related goals.

That said, don't change medication dosages or stop without talking to your doctor (unless she gave you prior instructions). However, BP meds are definitely something you do not need forever if you continue putting in your time to get healthier.

bamazav 01-17-2013 10:16 PM

Jdmalm offers some good advice, don't quit meds until you check with doc first. Some meds cause horrible problems if not weaned off. Call them before you stop.

I would also echo what the others have said health and weight.

Jesda 01-18-2013 02:19 PM

Call your doc and see what she says. I see your concerns and they are very valid. Hopefully in a few months you will not even need the pills anymore if you keep working out and eating right.

evilinmotion 01-18-2013 03:00 PM

Fruits and Vegetables that Lower Blood Pressure

All vegetables - Great sources of complex carbohydrates and fiber

Vegetables High in Potassium - boiled Swiss Chard, Romaine Lettuce, Crimini mushrooms, boiled spinach, raw celery, boiled mustard greens, raw fennel, eggplant, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts.

Vegetables High in Magnesium - boiled Swiss Chard, boiled spinach, mustard greens, summer squash, broccoli, turnip greens, pumpkin seeds.

Vegetables High in Calcium - Spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, Swiss chard, kale, romaine lettuce, broccoli, fennel, cabbage, green beans.

Fruits and Vegetables High in Vitamin C - broccoli, bell peppers, kale, cauliflower, strawberries, lemons, mustard and turnip greens, Brussels sprouts, papaya, cabbage, spinach, kiwifruit, snow peas, cantaloupe, oranges, grapefruit, limes, tomatoes, zucchini, raspberries, asparagus, celery.

Fruits and Vegetables High in Vitamin E - mustard greens, turnip greens, chard, spinach, kale, papaya, olives, bell pepper, Brussels sprouts, kiwi, tomatoes, blueberries, broccoli.

Vegetables High in Vitamin B3 - mushrooms, asparagus.

Vegetables High in Nitrates - Beets

Three vegetables that aren't on the above lists are garlic, onions, and celery. These three are well known for lowering blood pressure. Garlic and onions are high in sulfuric-containing compounds and celery contains 3-n-butyl phthalide, which lowers blood pressure. Make sure you include these vegetables in your diet as well.

I got the above online and saved to my files but don't remember from where...

Also Passion fruit juice is awesome to control HBP ...

squatz1000 01-19-2013 06:14 PM

I heard that drinking cranberry juice as well will lower your BP. Having a glass a day decreased many's BP in a study they did.

gavida89 01-19-2013 07:58 PM

A study was also done about yogurt and eating it can lower your BP. Just consume it every three days the study said. I can not remember the amount, maybe just one of the small containers?