Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Squats, grip and leaning forward (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12189)

70sBB 01-13-2013 11:24 AM

Squats, grip and leaning forward

I had been using a very tight grip on squats for the last 6 months. Yesterday I was training at my brother's gym and the rack was a bit more narrow so I gave wide grip squats a try. I felt I could stay more upright.

Is this normal? Why would this be?

MikeM 01-13-2013 11:55 AM

I had the same experience, so I hope it's normal. :)

leefarley 01-13-2013 12:05 PM

i actually feel more comfortable squatting that way then i read some were it was wrong so i stopped doing it.

Fazc 01-13-2013 12:12 PM

The tightness is more a function of your upper back. Rather than focus on the grip, focus on what the grip is supposed to let you do, which is to allow you to keep a tight upper back.

Choose whatever grip allows you to stay tight is what I would say.

BendtheBar 01-13-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leefarley (Post 311598)
i actually feel more comfortable squatting that way then i read some were it was wrong so i stopped doing it.

You mean with a wide-handed grip?

BigJosh 01-13-2013 10:40 PM

I believe torso angle when squatting is a product of bar placement. The lower the bar the more you will lean forward, the higher the bar the more upright u will be.
I have never squatted with a wide grip and do not have any experience of how it may impact my squat.
Having said all that, I can't help but wonder if u may have inadvertently or unintentionally took a different bar placement along with the wider grip.
Just my thoughts.

leefarley 01-14-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 311645)

yeah is this wrong? i read that i had to use a shorter hand grip as to tighting up my upper back to keep more a stable base for the bar is this right or wong or am i completly of subject ?

Soldier 01-14-2013 09:19 AM

I know we were just talking about this a few days ago, but I use a wide grip. VERY wide. I hold on to the collars of the bar. It helps me to get my elbows higher, which helps me hold the bar much lower.

ricka182 01-14-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 311875)
I know we were just talking about this a few days ago, but I use a wide grip. VERY wide. I hold on to the collars of the bar. It helps me to get my elbows higher, which helps me hold the bar much lower.

Same here. I hold as far out as I can, which lets me better control where the bar sits on my back/shoulders. It may loosen my upper back up a bit, but I prefer control of the bar of back tightness. I give a good squeeze as I can though.

My current gym has power rack, only the little white squat rack thing. So I can't really reach out where I want to, so I'm forced into using a slightly more narrow grip, until I get the bar placed correctly.

leefarley 01-14-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 311645)

yeah :)