Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BMI Outrage (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12138)

BendtheBar 01-08-2013 10:42 AM

BMI Outrage

Big BMI outrage locally:

Aurora Healthcare employees outraged

Aurora Healthcare employees outraged - 620 WTMJ - Milwaukee's Source for Local News and Weather

Quote:

MILWAUKEE - It's an industry based on healthcare, but employees at Aurora Healthcare aren't too keen about being told how to care for themselves.

Workers are fired up over a new plan to offer health insurance incentives based on their Body Mass Index, or BMI.

In a letter to staffers, managers announced a $13.33 credit every two weeks for folks who meet a 'weight target' or BMI of 30.

The letter goes on to explain nearly two-thirds of the company's caregivers were obese or overweight.

"If you ask any fitness professional, you know, personal trainers, they all say don't focus on a number. Focus on how you feel. How your clothes fit," said one worker, who wished to remain anonymous.

Aurora Healthcare's Chief Clinical Officer tells me the incentive plan is not uncommon throughout the industry. Dr. Bruce van Cleave believes it's a way to encourage employees to attain a healthy weight.

"They can lose the weight. They can participate in a program like Weight Watchers or programs we have designed ourselves to lose weight," van Cleave explained.

Aurora does offer to pay a portion of the costs involved with weight loss programs, but some employees are concerned the costs of keeping healthy may outweigh the savings.

"We feel as though aurora healthcare isn't concerned ultimately about their employees.. Maybe they're concerned about their own budget right now," said one employee.

Workers willing to participate will be weighed. The health insurance credits start in 2014.

bruteforce 01-08-2013 10:45 AM

So it begins. So we will be paid to be so weak we can't protect our families from a rabid squirrel.

BendtheBar 01-08-2013 10:48 AM

We are owned, bought and paid for.

Hunterace 01-08-2013 10:52 AM

BMI is a Fn joke! The control factor gov. and employers have over the regular man/woman is getting WAY out of hand! Personally if it were me I'd do everything to meet that standard to save money, but I think it's complete BS!!!

BendtheBar 01-08-2013 10:58 AM

Wait until they reward us for lowering our cholesterol levels. Perhaps that's next.

http://www.paintball-addict.org/wp-c...011/05/rip.jpg

BendtheBar 01-08-2013 10:59 AM

If we are going to set health standards, maybe bring them into the next era a bit.

But if you ask them to consider body composition, they will probably just use bodyfat scales.

BigJosh 01-08-2013 11:03 AM

A few years back, It would have been early '09 before I had surgery on my abdomen and was out of the weights for a year, I went to the doctor. At the time I was a much leaner man and was what I would consider pretty "buff". I was weighing less than 260 and was muscular.
Anyway, the doctor I went to had the nerve to use the BMI to tell me I was obese. I told him bull stuff, your calculation is flawed. He basically said "no it's not". I proceeded to explain to him, to his shock, that until he does his job and calculates my bf% he can't sit here and tell me I am obese because I am a weightlifter and he is not accounting for the added lean mass on my body.
He grumbled a bit but in not so many words told me to face it I'm obese.
I then proceeded to stand up, pull of my shirt and go do I look fucking obese to you?
He said no and quickly changed the subject.
True story.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 309734)
We are owned, bought and paid for.

Straw man theory.

BendtheBar 01-08-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 309742)

Straw man theory.

"Legal fiction" reference?

Been a while...

BigJosh 01-08-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 309747)
"Legal fiction" reference?

Been a while...

Strap on your tin foil hate. It's the theory that humans are nothing more than currency for the Illumanati/Man/Elite/World Government (take your pick of sinister group that controls us all). We are cattle if you will. Furthermore, we own nothing, including property as we are just leasing it from the government.
Entertaining to listen/watch the videos on Youtube, but as always,one should probably take it with a grain of salf

bamazav 01-08-2013 11:29 AM

Sad considering anything over 25 is considered overweight. my biggest problem with the BMI is that it does not take into account LBM. I am about 15% BF but still have a BMI that puts me in the overweight catagory, go figure.