Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I can't sleep the night before training days now. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11512)

MattyBoy 10-29-2012 07:20 AM

I can't sleep the night before training days now.

Ever since I decided to compete in a powerlifting meet, next spring, I haven't been able to sleep on the night before training. I'm too excited. I feel exactly like I used to feel, as a kid, on Christmas Eve. I just can't turn off my brain. Saturday it didn't mess me up because I just slept in then went to the gym when I woke up. Today it screwed me. I have to wake up at 3:50 am on workdays. I go train then go right to work from the gym. I finally called my training off, for today at 1 am. I have to drive a lot so I don't like getting less than 5 hrs of sleep.

Has this happened to anyone else? What worked for you? I was thinking of buying an over the counter sleep aid, but I don't know how they affect a person the next day. Is there one that doesn't leave a guy groggy the next day?

BTW- traing will be T-Th-Sat this week

bruteforce 10-29-2012 07:31 AM

I get that all the time still. After the first few months it got a little better, but the day before deadlift day I can never calm down enough to sleep well. Over the counter sleep aids don't do much for me, but .5mg klonopin calms me down enough to sleep immediately. Not a fan of meds like that, so I only use them if I have a big meeting on deadlift day and will need to be at my best, so maybe once a month.

J_Byrd 10-29-2012 07:38 AM

I was like that for a long time. You have to understand that part of your training is to get the rest. Eventually you will force your mind to relax and let you sleep. The night of sleep is every bit as important as the lift you are going to hit the next day!

dossas 10-29-2012 01:11 PM

If you just made the decision recently, it would explain your excitement. I think your sytem will adjust naturally.

MattyBoy 10-29-2012 08:03 PM

Good to know, thanks guys.

beastmode 11-04-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 288429)
I get that all the time still. After the first few months it got a little better, but the day before deadlift day I can never calm down enough to sleep well. Over the counter sleep aids don't do much for me, but .5mg klonopin calms me down enough to sleep immediately. Not a fan of meds like that, so I only use them if I have a big meeting on deadlift day and will need to be at my best, so maybe once a month.

What is klonopin? I have never heard of this before. Is it OTC?

LtL 11-04-2012 03:08 PM

Try using a supplement like Formutech's Shut Eye. Will help you get deeper and more restful sleep.

BendtheBar 11-04-2012 06:28 PM

I eat a fatty snack before bed, like 2 handful of almonds. The fat seems to help me.

MattyBoy 11-04-2012 06:35 PM

It's gotten better. I think it was the initial excitement. I didn't plan on doing a competition so soon, but I'll be ready. I'm calm now, hitting my PR's and moving forward at a nice clip, I feel comfortable.