Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ritalin for a 21/2 year old (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11404)

inc8d 10-17-2012 01:53 PM

Ritalin for a 21/2 year old

I was talking to a friend the other day who told me of a family that she knows that has issues. They have 3 kids, and the youngest one is 2 1/2. The parents are so busy with their lives that he is taken to daycare at 6 am and then picked up at 6 at night and then taken to grandma's where he stays until 9 or 10, and then is taken home while sleeping and placed in his own bed. Anyway, the parents have decided that he needs to be on ritalin and the doc okayed it. What is that doc doing thinking it is ok to put a child like this on ritalin. How about we look at his home life first. I know that he is a holy terror but give the kid a chance. He is never home and just does not have the home life he needs or deserves. It really is a shame.

big_swede 10-17-2012 03:36 PM

I agree, drugging children with amphetamine or other shit to controll their behavior? Thats one high crime in my book. It goes in the same category as all other child abuse. If the parents dont have the time or are responisible enough to take care and give love to their kids, they should be placed in a home that does.

This topic always gets me fired up since I think its so damn screwed up and its also so damn common and accepted!

J_Byrd 10-17-2012 04:24 PM

most adhd is related to diet.

BendtheBar 10-17-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 285799)
most adhd is related to diet.

Would TV stimulus add to this overkill?

I am a big believer in what you said, based on my minimal research.

philcardo8 10-17-2012 05:49 PM

ADHD is related to the diet. But I also agree that if he does not have a good home life, then that could really mess with him as well. Poor kid is never home and sounds like he is shoved in so many directions. He should not be on meds for this, he needs a change in home life first.

J_Byrd 10-18-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 285815)
Would TV stimulus add to this overkill?

I am a big believer in what you said, based on my minimal research.

As far as diet goes, no can foods, avoid persevatives as much as you can. Do not give you kids soda and candy for breakfast/lunch! You would be shocked at how often that is the case!!!

As far as tv, this is just my theory....but look at nickelodeon type networks. All skits are only about 3-5mins long. We teach or kids to have attention isssues.

Tannhauser 10-18-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inc8d (Post 285766)
I was talking to a friend the other day who told me of a family that she knows that has issues. They have 3 kids, and the youngest one is 2 1/2. The parents are so busy with their lives that he is taken to daycare at 6 am and then picked up at 6 at night and then taken to grandma's where he stays until 9 or 10, and then is taken home while sleeping and placed in his own bed. Anyway, the parents have decided that he needs to be on ritalin and the doc okayed it. What is that doc doing thinking it is ok to put a child like this on ritalin. How about we look at his home life first. I know that he is a holy terror but give the kid a chance. He is never home and just does not have the home life he needs or deserves. It really is a shame.

There was a big study done of the effects of day care in the US in the 1990s. It was the NICHD. They looked at over a thousand kids and assessments were made by parents, teachers, psychologists and centre workers.

One finding was that kids who spent more than 20 hours a week in day care before the age of 12 months were more aggressive and less socially skilled. This was irrespective of the quality of care.

It seems a bit counter-intuitive because you would think they learn to get on with other kids better if they spend more time with them..but that's not what they found.

So time away from his parents may be another factor to throw into the mix.

BendtheBar 10-18-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 285966)

Makes sense.

I also wonder how the absence of a parent plays into this mix. I've seen more than my fair share of "Johnny no" parents over the years. The parent parrots Johnny no hundreds of times, but you get the sense that the parent never delivers consequences for actions. The child looks to be completely in control, unaccustomed to boundaries and unchecked.

Fazc 10-18-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 285966)

It's a HUGE factor. Socio-economic factors, which are heavily based on parental and home life, are estimated to account for up to 80% of the influence on a child's educational outcomes.

Jesda 10-18-2012 03:06 PM

That poor kid. YOu can not really blame him. If his parents are not around that much I bet that has a lot to do with it.