Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
inc8d
New Brawn
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

inc8d is off to a bad start
Default Ritalin for a 21/2 year old

I was talking to a friend the other day who told me of a family that she knows that has issues. They have 3 kids, and the youngest one is 2 1/2. The parents are so busy with their lives that he is taken to daycare at 6 am and then picked up at 6 at night and then taken to grandma's where he stays until 9 or 10, and then is taken home while sleeping and placed in his own bed. Anyway, the parents have decided that he needs to be on ritalin and the doc okayed it. What is that doc doing thinking it is ok to put a child like this on ritalin. How about we look at his home life first. I know that he is a holy terror but give the kid a chance. He is never home and just does not have the home life he needs or deserves. It really is a shame.
inc8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I agree, drugging children with amphetamine or other shit to controll their behavior? Thats one high crime in my book. It goes in the same category as all other child abuse. If the parents dont have the time or are responisible enough to take care and give love to their kids, they should be placed in a home that does.

This topic always gets me fired up since I think its so damn screwed up and its also so damn common and accepted!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

most adhd is related to diet.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
most adhd is related to diet.
Would TV stimulus add to this overkill?

I am a big believer in what you said, based on my minimal research.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
philcardo8
New Brawn
Points: 737, Level: 14 Points: 737, Level: 14 Points: 737, Level: 14
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

philcardo8 has made some quality postsphilcardo8 has made some quality postsphilcardo8 has made some quality postsphilcardo8 has made some quality postsphilcardo8 has made some quality postsphilcardo8 has made some quality postsphilcardo8 has made some quality posts

ADHD is related to the diet. But I also agree that if he does not have a good home life, then that could really mess with him as well. Poor kid is never home and sounds like he is shoved in so many directions. He should not be on meds for this, he needs a change in home life first.
philcardo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Would TV stimulus add to this overkill?

I am a big believer in what you said, based on my minimal research.
As far as diet goes, no can foods, avoid persevatives as much as you can. Do not give you kids soda and candy for breakfast/lunch! You would be shocked at how often that is the case!!!

As far as tv, this is just my theory....but look at nickelodeon type networks. All skits are only about 3-5mins long. We teach or kids to have attention isssues.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw

Last edited by J_Byrd; 10-18-2012 at 06:14 AM.
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc8d View Post
I was talking to a friend the other day who told me of a family that she knows that has issues. They have 3 kids, and the youngest one is 2 1/2. The parents are so busy with their lives that he is taken to daycare at 6 am and then picked up at 6 at night and then taken to grandma's where he stays until 9 or 10, and then is taken home while sleeping and placed in his own bed. Anyway, the parents have decided that he needs to be on ritalin and the doc okayed it. What is that doc doing thinking it is ok to put a child like this on ritalin. How about we look at his home life first. I know that he is a holy terror but give the kid a chance. He is never home and just does not have the home life he needs or deserves. It really is a shame.
There was a big study done of the effects of day care in the US in the 1990s. It was the NICHD. They looked at over a thousand kids and assessments were made by parents, teachers, psychologists and centre workers.

One finding was that kids who spent more than 20 hours a week in day care before the age of 12 months were more aggressive and less socially skilled. This was irrespective of the quality of care.

It seems a bit counter-intuitive because you would think they learn to get on with other kids better if they spend more time with them..but that's not what they found.

So time away from his parents may be another factor to throw into the mix.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post

Makes sense.

I also wonder how the absence of a parent plays into this mix. I've seen more than my fair share of "Johnny no" parents over the years. The parent parrots Johnny no hundreds of times, but you get the sense that the parent never delivers consequences for actions. The child looks to be completely in control, unaccustomed to boundaries and unchecked.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
It's a HUGE factor. Socio-economic factors, which are heavily based on parental and home life, are estimated to account for up to 80% of the influence on a child's educational outcomes.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Jesda
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

That poor kid. YOu can not really blame him. If his parents are not around that much I bet that has a lot to do with it.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote