Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
begota
Brawn
Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

begota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributor
Default Sleepy time

Just looking for a little feedback.
I cannot sleep until 4 or 5 in the morning. It doesn't matter what time I get up and how much exercise I do, or my caffeine intake. I only feel sleepy at such a late time.
I have been working rather late, so I usually get home around midnight or so. After dinner and some relaxing I feel I have unwound and 5 am is an ok time to sleep, but I work at 3pm and I can't get out of bed till 12:30-ish. This doesn't leave me enough time to get my workout in before work, and sometimes I sleep instead of hitting the gym.
Is this normal? Is missing a workout due to sleep accetable, or should I not be so lazy?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Take some Melatonin as soon as you get home. Eat then sleep.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by begota View Post
Just looking for a little feedback.
I cannot sleep until 4 or 5 in the morning. It doesn't matter what time I get up and how much exercise I do, or my caffeine intake. I only feel sleepy at such a late time.
I have been working rather late, so I usually get home around midnight or so. After dinner and some relaxing I feel I have unwound and 5 am is an ok time to sleep, but I work at 3pm and I can't get out of bed till 12:30-ish. This doesn't leave me enough time to get my workout in before work, and sometimes I sleep instead of hitting the gym.
Is this normal? Is missing a workout due to sleep accetable, or should I not be so lazy?
Make sure the bedroom is pitch black; one small ray of light on the skin sets off our wake-up cycle, apparently. We use a heavy black sheet hung up against the window and then draw curtains across that.

Turn lights down low in the room prior to going to the bedroom, so that the living room lights are also bringing about a state of sleepiness.

When winding down try and cut out as much external noise as possible.

The above may help a bit, every little helps.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Sounds like your sleep cycle is off. Babs, as usual, gives you some good hints. Ryano's post is helpful too. I would look at what you are doing to "Wind down." If I were working 3-12, I would be looking to get myself in bed by 1. No TV, absolutely no video games or computer, they can over stimulate you quickly, dark room. Make sure you have your heavy meal during your break at work, take something with you to eat on way home and focus on heading to bed. Cut all caffeine by 9PM. Set a wake up time, 9 or 10 to make sure you get adequate sleep and then get up at the same time each day. That should leave time to get a workout in, run a few errands and be to work on time.

My experience, most sleep issues are lifestyle issues. For younger folks it tends to be over stimulation via diet or video products.

Just my 2 cents.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Make sure the bedroom is pitch black; one small ray of light on the skin sets off our wake-up cycle, apparently. We use a heavy black sheet hung up against the window and then draw curtains across that.

Turn lights down low in the room prior to going to the bedroom, so that the living room lights are also bringing about a state of sleepiness.

When winding down try and cut out as much external noise as possible.

The above may help a bit, every little helps.
Fascinating. Really makes me wonder why I'm out in 10 minutes with the lights on, but lie awake for hours if its pitch black.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Fascinating. Really makes me wonder why I'm out in 10 minutes with the lights on, but lie awake for hours if its pitch black.
I should have mentioned I meant sunlight not artificial light
Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Brute, maybe yur jus skeered of the dark. LOL
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Try a sleep supplement like Resurrect from Fahrenheit Nutrition. It helps improve the quality of your sleep and helps you get to sleep as well.

Al
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Brute, maybe yur jus skeered of the dark. LOL
Shhh!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by begota View Post
Is missing a workout due to sleep accetable, or should I not be so lazy?
Well, those that are successful don't generally miss many workouts.

You need to train when you have the most energy and are least likely to miss workouts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote