Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sleepy time (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11386)

begota 10-14-2012 10:35 PM

Sleepy time

Just looking for a little feedback.
I cannot sleep until 4 or 5 in the morning. It doesn't matter what time I get up and how much exercise I do, or my caffeine intake. I only feel sleepy at such a late time.
I have been working rather late, so I usually get home around midnight or so. After dinner and some relaxing I feel I have unwound and 5 am is an ok time to sleep, but I work at 3pm and I can't get out of bed till 12:30-ish. This doesn't leave me enough time to get my workout in before work, and sometimes I sleep instead of hitting the gym.
Is this normal? Is missing a workout due to sleep accetable, or should I not be so lazy?

Ryano 10-15-2012 07:27 AM

Take some Melatonin as soon as you get home. Eat then sleep.

5kgLifter 10-15-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begota (Post 285079)
Just looking for a little feedback.
I cannot sleep until 4 or 5 in the morning. It doesn't matter what time I get up and how much exercise I do, or my caffeine intake. I only feel sleepy at such a late time.
I have been working rather late, so I usually get home around midnight or so. After dinner and some relaxing I feel I have unwound and 5 am is an ok time to sleep, but I work at 3pm and I can't get out of bed till 12:30-ish. This doesn't leave me enough time to get my workout in before work, and sometimes I sleep instead of hitting the gym.
Is this normal? Is missing a workout due to sleep accetable, or should I not be so lazy?

Make sure the bedroom is pitch black; one small ray of light on the skin sets off our wake-up cycle, apparently. We use a heavy black sheet hung up against the window and then draw curtains across that.

Turn lights down low in the room prior to going to the bedroom, so that the living room lights are also bringing about a state of sleepiness.

When winding down try and cut out as much external noise as possible.

The above may help a bit, every little helps.

bamazav 10-15-2012 11:51 AM

Sounds like your sleep cycle is off. Babs, as usual, gives you some good hints. Ryano's post is helpful too. I would look at what you are doing to "Wind down." If I were working 3-12, I would be looking to get myself in bed by 1. No TV, absolutely no video games or computer, they can over stimulate you quickly, dark room. Make sure you have your heavy meal during your break at work, take something with you to eat on way home and focus on heading to bed. Cut all caffeine by 9PM. Set a wake up time, 9 or 10 to make sure you get adequate sleep and then get up at the same time each day. That should leave time to get a workout in, run a few errands and be to work on time.

My experience, most sleep issues are lifestyle issues. For younger folks it tends to be over stimulation via diet or video products.

Just my 2 cents.

bruteforce 10-15-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 285149)
Make sure the bedroom is pitch black; one small ray of light on the skin sets off our wake-up cycle, apparently. We use a heavy black sheet hung up against the window and then draw curtains across that.

Turn lights down low in the room prior to going to the bedroom, so that the living room lights are also bringing about a state of sleepiness.

When winding down try and cut out as much external noise as possible.

The above may help a bit, every little helps.

Fascinating. Really makes me wonder why I'm out in 10 minutes with the lights on, but lie awake for hours if its pitch black.

5kgLifter 10-15-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 285244)
Fascinating. Really makes me wonder why I'm out in 10 minutes with the lights on, but lie awake for hours if its pitch black.

I should have mentioned I meant sunlight not artificial light ;)

Ryano 10-15-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 285244)

Brute, maybe yur jus skeered of the dark. LOL

LtL 10-15-2012 04:01 PM

Try a sleep supplement like Resurrect from Fahrenheit Nutrition. It helps improve the quality of your sleep and helps you get to sleep as well.

Al

bruteforce 10-15-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 285280)
Brute, maybe yur jus skeered of the dark. LOL

Shhh! :march:

BendtheBar 10-15-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begota (Post 285079)
Is missing a workout due to sleep accetable, or should I not be so lazy?

Well, those that are successful don't generally miss many workouts.

You need to train when you have the most energy and are least likely to miss workouts.