Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
begota
Brawn
Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

begota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Take some Melatonin as soon as you get home. Eat then sleep.
Going to pick some up from the store. I've tried natural sleep aids in the past, and even have some sleepy-time tea. Will I build a tolerence to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Make sure the bedroom is pitch black; one small ray of light on the skin sets off our wake-up cycle, apparently. We use a heavy black sheet hung up against the window and then draw curtains across that.

Turn lights down low in the room prior to going to the bedroom, so that the living room lights are also bringing about a state of sleepiness.

When winding down try and cut out as much external noise as possible.
Was unaware that sunlight could do set off our wake up cycle. I will def start keeping the lights low after I tuck the wife in bed and see if that sends me to slumber land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Sounds like your sleep cycle is off. Babs, as usual, gives you some good hints. Ryano's post is helpful too. I would look at what you are doing to "Wind down." If I were working 3-12, I would be looking to get myself in bed by 1. No TV, absolutely no video games or computer, they can over stimulate you quickly, dark room. Make sure you have your heavy meal during your break at work, take something with you to eat on way home and focus on heading to bed. Cut all caffeine by 9PM. Set a wake up time, 9 or 10 to make sure you get adequate sleep and then get up at the same time each day. That should leave time to get a workout in, run a few errands and be to work on time.

My experience, most sleep issues are lifestyle issues. For younger folks it tends to be over stimulation via diet or video products.
I have to agree with you. My sleep cycle is off. I always eat heavy at work, but the Mrs' will usually have some dinner made for me when I get home. I need to start cutting this out. I do spend most of my time on the computer / tv. Maybe I if I got up earlier I could get my work done then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Try a sleep supplement like Resurrect from Fahrenheit Nutrition. It helps improve the quality of your sleep and helps you get to sleep as well.
I have been mulling this over in my head for about two weeks now. I have read all the reveiws and really want try it out. When I get back from my honeymoon, I will place an order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well, those that are successful don't generally miss many workouts.

You need to train when you have the most energy and are least likely to miss workouts.
I hate missing workouts, I feel like grump-a-saurous-rex at work when I do. Gotta get up and DO EET!!

Thanks everbody for your feedback
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

For readjusting the sleep cycle, some suggest doing it slowly (if it has room to be adjusted that is) and going to bed 10 mins earlier coupled with getting up 10 mins earlier, then shifting it to 20 mins and so forth...it saves having a massive time difference for the body to cope with.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
begota
Brawn

begota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
For readjusting the sleep cycle, some suggest doing it slowly (if it has room to be adjusted that is) and going to bed 10 mins earlier coupled with getting up 10 mins earlier, then shifting it to 20 mins and so forth...it saves having a massive time difference for the body to cope with.
Sounds like a solid plan. I was just thinking. I drink a lot of green tea (cold). I was wondering if the caffeine in it is keeping me awake. I know there isn't much caffeine in green tea, but still it may be enough to keep me stimulated
Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
linedriver465
Max Brawn
Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Caffeine
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

I've been taking Resurrect by Fahrenheit Nutrition. As a college student with an erratic sleep schedule, it helps me fall asleep quickly, stay asleep, and wake up refreshed without grogginess. Definitely worth looking into...
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
begota
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by linedriver465 View Post
I've been taking Resurrect by Fahrenheit Nutrition. As a college student with an erratic sleep schedule, it helps me fall asleep quickly, stay asleep, and wake up refreshed without grogginess. Definitely worth looking into...

Sounds like I will give it a go. Thanks. I think I will be able to fix my sleep cycle with just a few changes. Glad I posted my questions and concerns, and got such great feedback.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
linedriver465
Max Brawn
Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Caffeine
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by begota View Post
Sounds like I will give it a go. Thanks. I think I will be able to fix my sleep cycle with just a few changes. Glad I posted my questions and concerns, and got such great feedback.
Definitely keep us updated. As someone who also has sleep issues, I want to help minimize the time it takes for you to find something that works.
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

how's the sleep these days?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
begota
Brawn

My sleep is back to its normal. I go to bed late and wake up around noon. When I went on my cruise I didn't have any problems sleeping....until I got back. I am getting about 8 hours of sleep a day, so I feel I am normal. My wife hates that I come to bed so late, but 3 or 4 hours after I get off work I come to bed. So I do want to change my pattern, but when I work till 12:30 - 1 am or later some nights. I don't want to be falling asleep at work
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by begota View Post
My sleep is back to its normal. I go to bed late and wake up around noon. When I went on my cruise I didn't have any problems sleeping....until I got back. I am getting about 8 hours of sleep a day, so I feel I am normal. My wife hates that I come to bed so late, but 3 or 4 hours after I get off work I come to bed. So I do want to change my pattern, but when I work till 12:30 - 1 am or later some nights. I don't want to be falling asleep at work
glad to hear it!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Slam six beers before you go to bed! It works, but not something you want to do long term so to speak.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote