Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   getting sick (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11317)

Fenrir 10-07-2012 09:06 AM

getting sick

So let's say I wake up one morning with a bad fever, runny nose but I think I can still make it to the gym and lift....but at the same time I don't want to make things worse and collapse in front of the squat rack, how do some of you deal with this? If you're sick and it falls on a training day, do you skip it and do you still try to maintain your dietary requirements for the day?

Thanks!
Drew :)

BendtheBar 10-07-2012 09:14 AM

Well the key thing for me, training or not, is to realize my CNS might be off when I am sick. There are some times when I feel well enough to train. During these times it is crucial to pay attention to how heavy the weight feels during each warmup set. Don't push your body beyond what it wants to do that day.

With that said, I usually don't train with any major sickness. A minor sore throat or stomach flu and I might train. Rest never hurt any consistent lifter.

As far as food...when I am sick I eat everything that's near and the box it came in. They I eat more.

Chillen 10-07-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 283006)
So let's say I wake up one morning with a bad fever, runny nose but I think I can still make it to the gym and lift....but at the same time I don't want to make things worse and collapse in front of the squat rack, how do some of you deal with this? If you're sick and it falls on a training day, do you skip it and do you still try to maintain your dietary requirements for the day?

Thanks!

As with most things, it depends. It depends on the severity, cause, and symptoms. If the body is "truly" sick, then causing more stress wouldn't be appropriate.

If for example, the fever is 102 degrees, you have heavy chest congestion, sweats, and feel weak as compared to the norm, then.......this is a "reason" to miss a session.

But, one thing is for sure (dependent on severity, etc), I do not allow it to be a foundation for an "excuse" to miss a session. To me there is a distinct "definition" difference between a "reason" and an "excuse".

I have definitely went to train with minor... ,,,colds and sniffles, headaches, aches and pains, feeling lousy with no apparent cause or reason behind it, Sometimes....sweaten' this shit out does it good. Sometimes diet causes certain issues: Such as being low on carbohydrates (with some persons), and if its with me I call it, and drag my old ass in the gym.

Live life and "Roll with it" (as the song goes). But always keep an eye out: As the body can lie and sometimes tell you the truth, and its "your head and mind" that has to make honest assessments of the situation--but at the same do not baby it--unnecessarily.

beastmode 10-07-2012 03:30 PM

If I am really sick I do not train. A runny nose will not keep me from not lifting, but a fever usually does. If I have a temp I know that something is wrong.

angie828 10-07-2012 04:41 PM

I do not work out when I am sick. I feel that once I get better tomorrow is another day.

5kgLifter 10-08-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 283006)

Thanks!

Runny nose is fine as long as you're not leaving your germs all over the equipment for others to pick up and chances are you probably will be with a runny nose, unless you're wiping everything down, meticulously, after yourself.

Eating, when people are sick their bodies usually dictate whether they can eat, appetite is either there or not and that's for a reason; thankfully, the body is smarter than we are.

Seriously, you know how ill you feel, and will know way before you even get to a gym whether you're likely to collapse, and if that's the case, then you just don't go there.

Decide on every situation separately.

leefarley 10-08-2012 01:32 PM

i was ill over the weekend i caught a stomach bug and couldn't stay off the toilet and was in bed for most of the weekend shivering and totally loss my appetite, feeling a whole lot better today but feeling tired and in a weakened state i thought i would train so i did some warm up sets on the squat immediately on the third warm up set i was sweating like a pig then i got to my second work set then thought dame it i'm going to call it a day it wasn't going to happen not to day i still feel wiped out i will give it another shot tomorrow.

thorish 10-08-2012 01:54 PM

Nope dont work out if I am sick. I figure I will catch up the next day. No reason for me to get even sicker and then miss more days.

Chillen 10-08-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorish (Post 283367)
Nope dont work out if I am sick. I figure I will catch up the next day. No reason for me to get even sicker and then miss more days.

I don't personally blanket myself like that. I will play it by ear, and make "on-the-fly" decisions though sound judgements of the present circumstances.

Some of the best workouts, I have had with minor cold and sniffles, and feeling "like" not training. Only to have the body out right lie and would have a energetic and great workout session.

Other times, its the opposite..but, I just roll with life, and play it by ear, and live.

Peace

Don

rammjet 10-09-2012 01:45 PM

Runny nose does not keep me from lifting. A fever, lots of body aches, or a terrible cough will. I will not lift when I am that sick.