Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vertical leg press and backs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11217)

bamazav 09-27-2012 06:23 PM

Vertical leg press and backs

Looking for some input. What are thoughts on vertical leg press and back safety? I have the ability to pick one up and 265 lbs of plates dirt cheap. Just wondering if it would be worth it.

ricka182 09-27-2012 08:44 PM

I've heard they're not good for extreme heavy loads, due to the un-natural pressure it puts on the hips and lower torso. I've gone as heavy as I could before, and never felt any pain in those areas. On the flipside, there was a guy in my gym who refused to use one. Said the same thing about it being an un-natural movement and pressure. I generally use one only for low weight, high rep burn sets, with good ol' squats as the King of legs.

I suppose if I had the space for one, and it was a stupidly good deal, I might jump on it. If I couldn't or didn't use it as much, I could sell the machine, and maybe keep the plates, flip it for more money. Something like that...

IronManlet 09-27-2012 09:54 PM

http://www.usawa.com/USAWA%20Uploads...r-LegPress.jpg

If you're going to do it, do it right.

bamazav 09-28-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricka182 (Post 280389)

I suppose if I had the space for one, and it was a stupidly good deal, I might jump on it. If I couldn't or didn't use it as much, I could sell the machine, and maybe keep the plates, flip it for more money. Something like that...

This is the direction I am leaning. $75 for machine and 265 lbs of plates is a deal around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronManlet (Post 280403)
http://www.usawa.com/USAWA%20Uploads...r-LegPress.jpg

If you're going to do it, do it right.

I hear ya.

J_Byrd 09-28-2012 07:11 AM

Yeah, if nothing else the plates are worth that!

emekajokammor 09-28-2012 08:54 AM

Thats a giveaway! awesome deal.

moeheep 09-28-2012 09:35 AM

Ill give you 100.00 for the plates !!

BendtheBar 09-28-2012 09:42 AM

I read some info on them at Dave Draper's forum earlier this year. Posting some of the quotes from various members:

Quote:

I've got one. Had it for 21 years. Today it's got an inch of dust on it. Just didn't suit me...put my low back in a funky position. It's probably a good piece of equipment...kinda like a bench press for legs, but I'll stick to squats. Your results may differ...just be careful.
Quote:

I've experienced low back pain with the vertical leg press as well. I think it's a great exercise but it does not agree with me for some reason. If you're going to buy one perhaps you could try it somewhere to see how it affects you before you purchase it.
Quote:

Cons: Awkward positioning, position more dangerous to lower back and eyes if form is bad and breath is held. (capillary rupture in eyes)

If you choose a vertical leg press, here's how to get the most out of it safely. You may wish to increase the angle of the platform...most are too shallow. Failing that, place a pillow or rolled towel, etc. in the hollow of your lower back. Pay attention to the descent of the weight carriage and stop the movement before you lose your natural lumbar arch or when your hips just start to break contact with the platform.

Do NOT lockout at the top! This will greatly reduce the amount of weight that you can use but it is safer for your knees, hips and lower back. By not locking out, you keep the muscles engaged in supporting the weight. Lock out and the load is transfered (more or less) to the skeletal structure, i.e. the bones and attachements of the legs, hips, pelvis and spine.

A small pillow under the head helps to alleviate the pressure at the eyes and not holding the breath also helps that as well as reducing blood pressure spikes.

Used wisely, the vertical leg press is fine. Misuse it and you'll surely pay a price.
Quote:

I don't like leg presses in general, just don't think they are a good bang for the buck exercise, and way you bear the load is not really biomechanically sound.

The vertical leg press is a special case though, think hard about blood pressure and strokes etc. The burst blood vessels in the eyes is a real warning. The eyes are fairly close to the brain. Mike Mentzer actually wrote about a guy having a stroke while doing this exercise.

Valsalva maneuver
Feet elevated / head low
Thighs crush into rib cage
If done for high reps, big pump in the thighs

These four factors all raise blood pressure in your brain
Quote:

im doing vertical leg presses because i cant squats with my low back problem and this doesnt hurt ?...like wicked says you need something under the low back like a pillow etc ,plus i use a wide stance so i dont crush the chest in ,you can do high reps with a heavy weight as you dont have a problem with balance equals a great pump just dont hold your breath and control the breathing properly , a bonus is the hams get hit too,

bamazav 09-28-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 280468)
I read some info on them at Dave Draper's forum earlier this year. Posting some of the quotes from various members:

I was leaning in the direction of a no on the press, but making an offer on the plates.

Beverly McD 09-28-2012 11:20 AM

I would go for it in a heartbeat :D.
It's possible to get hurt on any piece of equipment. It's up to the user to use care and caution.