Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #31
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I think you have a point, in the sense that it is your right to do what you want as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses rights.
The real issue I see with your stance is the spreading of debunked misinformation saying there is a link between between the vaccines and autism. It's just not true.
I'm not spreading "debunked misinfo", when there is no denying the toxic substances contained within these vaccines. Again, it's my choice to refuse mercury (among other nasty shit) being put into my body. I'll take my chances with the modern-day "pandemics" of H1N1 (swine flu), etc.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #32
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
Autism has exploded in the past couple of decades, along with the # of vaccines given to children at a very early age. Just a coincidence, I suppose.
Quote:
I'm not spreading "debunked misinfo", when there is no denying the toxic substances contained within these vaccines. Again, it's my choice to refuse mercury (among other nasty shit) being put into my body. I'll take my chances with the modern-day "pandemics" of H1N1 (swine flu), etc.
Just saying.....

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #33
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Not sure I really see the point about the tax dollars, since I'd imagine that DW pays his taxes as well.

The pertinent point is, all medications have side-effects, some people react, some don't; some unfortunately react very badly...taking any new medication, IMO, is like playing Russian Roulette, so, decisions are made based on knowledge and gut instinct; wrongly or rightly.

I reacted badly to one particular med which kept me awake and climbing the walls 24/7 for as many days as I took it...4 days of absolutely no sleep, fidgeting continually, and wanting to scratch your own skin off is no fun, trust me

Hubby reacts badly to a bone med which caused so much pain he could barely walk after one week. Both of these, however, are and were reversible reactions, not all people are so lucky depending on the reaction, that's why there are warnings with all meds. I'd understand people's viewpoints completely, if medication was guaranteed side-effect free but it's not and probably never will be.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #34
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn

DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Not sure I really see the point about the tax dollars, since I'd imagine that DW pays his taxes as well.

The pertinent point is, all medications have side-effects, some people react, some don't; some unfortunately react very badly...taking any new medication, IMO, is like playing Russian Roulette, so, decisions are made based on knowledge and gut instinct; wrongly or rightly.

I reacted badly to one particular med which kept me awake and climbing the walls 24/7 for as many days as I took it...4 days of absolutely no sleep, fidgeting continually, and wanting to scratch your own skin off is no fun, trust me

Hubby reacts badly to a bone med which caused so much pain he could barely walk after one week. Both of these, however, are and were reversible reactions, not all people are so lucky depending on the reaction, that's why there are warnings with all meds. I'd understand people's viewpoints completely, if medication was guaranteed side-effect free but it's not and probably never will be.
That's true. Also, part of the problem is that the government and media are very good at making people afraid of stuff which is highly exaggerated. This causes the sheeple to clamor for a vaccine, and go in droves to the nearest pharmacy to get immunized from a bullshit "pandemic" which is not even as deadly as regular influenza. In '76, plenty of people got Guillain–Barré syndrome because of this fearmongering, along with some people in '09. Both of those "pandemics" were totally overblown. Needless to say, I shook my head when I went to the local CVS during the H1N1 scare of '09, and saw a double line of people waiting to get jabbed, almost out of the store. No thank you.

1976 swine flu outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2009 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guillain–Barré syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by DieselWeasel; 09-27-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #35
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
during the H1N1 scare of '09, and saw a double line of people waiting to get jabbed, almost out of the store. No thank you.
Yeah, I remember in the UK, people were given the supposed symptoms and told to stay indoors if they thought they had it (which was obviously sensible had it been a pandemic outbreak) but from what I recall, one or two thought they had it and all they had was a minor sore throat which was more than likely a common cold.

Oddly, they gave the choice of having the H1N1 in conjunction with the flu jab for that year, hubby declined and just had the "normal strain" flu jab (for want of a better description); he does wonder though, whether they snuck the H1N1 in the year after without telling people what it was...but that's just conjecture on his part, as he says.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #36
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
Doesnt matter if he pays taxes or not. If you and I get a pool together to cover our healthcare, and I go off and drink a 30 pack a night, shoot heroin and eat sweet cakes when I have diabetes. How would you feel about my behavior?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine

Quote:
I kind of agree. I know you were generalizing, so don't take this as a criticism of your post.

In Russian Roulette you have a 1 in 6 (or 1 in 5) chance of dying. Taking any medication (including aspirin) carries a ridiculous longshot of a chance that you might have a severe reaction to it. Taking that into account, it's more like playing regular roulette, where there is a 2.6% chance of hitting on any one number, but it's even longer odds with vaccines and most OTC medications--the chances of having a severe reaction are much less than 1%.

While I agree that some people will have negative reactions to medications (be they vaccine or an over the counter med), the chances of it happening are very small. My wife is one of those people that can't take NSAIDs without getting a serious GI bleed.

Having said that, every major health organiztion (CDC, IM, etc) has confirmed that there is no association between vaccines and autism. The last 2 studies to find otherwise were repeatedly proven to be incorrect.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #38
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Doesnt matter if he pays taxes or not. If you and I get a pool together to cover our healthcare, and I go off and drink a 30 pack a night, shoot heroin and eat sweet cakes when I have diabetes. How would you feel about my behavior?
wait, wut...you're worried about the cakes?

j/k...I do get your point though, honestly. Hubby is at risk of diabetes, sadly due to the medication that keeps him alive through no fault of his own but because of an incompetent doctor when he was a child (no reflection on good doctors, I hasten to add)...all that aside, behaviour or causal behaviour is problematical, many would say that the "health" advice, concerning dietary make-up, given by the very people that are there to ensure our health is in fact causing many of the health issues they are then required to pay for. In addition, and I think we'd all agree on this point, we all take a risk getting under a barbell but we still do it and it can just as easily lead to needing longterm care if it were to go wrong at any point in time.

Just trying to add some different perspectives nothing more.

@J - No offence taken
Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Like I stated in this thread, I never requested, nor do I want, universal healthcare, which they ram down our throats in this "free" country. The govt can take their vaccines and shove them up their collective ass.

Last edited by DieselWeasel; 09-27-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by _J_ View Post
I kind of agree. I know you were generalizing, so don't take this as a criticism of your post.

In Russian Roulette you have a 1 in 6 (or 1 in 5) chance of dying. Taking any medication (including aspirin) carries a ridiculous longshot of a chance that you might have a severe reaction to it. Taking that into account, it's more like playing regular roulette, where there is a 2.6% chance of hitting on any one number, but it's even longer odds with vaccines and most OTC medications--the chances of having a severe reaction are much less than 1%.

While I agree that some people will have negative reactions to medications (be they vaccine or an over the counter med), the chances of it happening are very small. My wife is one of those people that can't take NSAIDs without getting a serious GI bleed.

Having said that, every major health organiztion (CDC, IM, etc) has confirmed that there is no association between vaccines and autism. The last 2 studies to find otherwise were repeatedly proven to be incorrect.
LOL. This is the same CDC that told us the world was going to end if we didn't all get vaccinated in '76 and '09, right?