Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
ramm
New Brawn
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

ramm is off to a bad start

What about though when they are older and want to travel? Won't they then need to get all those shots to go overseas?
ramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #22
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine

That is from 2011. One year later, the same CBS News reported this 17 year study from the Institute of Medicine. Vaccines don't cause autism, but aren't perfect: Report - HealthPop - CBS News

Quote:
Autism's purported link to childhood vaccines has been debunked - again. ... The Institute says its vaccine report is its first comprehensive safety review in 17 years, prompted by the government's Vaccine Injury Compensation program that pays damages to people injured by vaccines. ... The Institute of Medicine says there's no link between vaccines and autism and Type 1 Diabetes, as some have speculated. The Institute says they can cause side effects including seizures - but only rarely. "Vaccines are important tools in preventing serious infectious disease across the lifespan," Clayton said. "All health care interventions, however, carry the possibility of risk and vaccines are no exception."
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
A bunch of ignorant savages. Unfriend the vaccine haters in real life.
Exactly. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to get a potentially life-saving vaccinne. Period. And I actually HAVE children.

It's a risk-reward proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
Autism has exploded in the past couple of decades, along with the # of vaccines given to children at a very early age. Just a coincidence, I suppose.
Special educator and researcher here. The Autism numbers have been exploding for many reasons. Here are a few:

1. Autism wasn't always included as it's own disability category. So, for most of our history (prior to 1990), there wasn't any way to capture the data on individuals with the disorder. Most were termed "mentally retarded."

2. As the DSM-III/IV definitions were honed and refined, it became easier and easier for physicians and schools to identify and diagnose.

3. The term Autism is a lot more socially acceptable as compared to Mental Retardation. As the numbers of autism diagnoses have gone up, other categories have gone down. Overall, the percentage of the population identified as individuals (children) with disabilities is relatively the same.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
Exactly. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to get a potentially life-saving vaccinne. Period. And I actually HAVE children.

It's a risk-reward proposition.
If you and your children are vaccinated, then you should be immune to the black plague that you will potentially receive from me and mine, who choose not to get the mercury injections, correct? I don't see why people have anger toward those who are on the no-vaccine side of the fence, given that simple concept.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
If you and your children are vaccinated, then you should be immune to the black plague that you will potentially receive from me and mine, who choose not to get the mercury injections, correct? I don't see why people have anger toward those who are on the no-vaccine side of the fence, given that simple concept.
I saw this sort of issue raised on another forum at the time of the flu virus (a couple of years back H1-something or other ??) and one person got so upset by those that were not going to have it that she eventually lost it and left the forum...mostly because she had no choice but to have it or lose her job, I think, and she probably resented the fact that some people just weren't going to have it...me being one of them; my reasoning to her was, it's a choice and we're all free to choose one way or the other.

I've had my childhood jabs and tetanus (and a booster or two, up-to-date) but flu jabs, I refuse to have; I'm entitled to them for free, being an asthmatic but since I have issues with some eggs, I prefer to avoid as many "unnecessary" vaccines as possible...I think I had flu last in 1990, pretty bad, if I recall but they may be the only time I've ever had it (unless I had it as a kid).
Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
I think you have a point, in the sense that it is your right to do what you want as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses rights.
The real issue I see with your stance is the spreading of debunked misinformation saying there is a link between between the vaccines and autism. It's just not true.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I think you have a point, in the sense that it is your right to do what you want as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses rights.
The real issue I see with your stance is the spreading of debunked misinformation saying there is a link between between the vaccines and autism. It's just not true.
He doesn't have a point if my tax dollars have to pay for his healthcare. Just saying.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
He doesn't have a point if my tax dollars have to pay for his healthcare. Just saying.
Great point. Why should tax dollars go towards the treatment of a disease that is 100% preventable with a vaccination?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #29
relix
New Brawn
Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1

relix is off to a bad start

Wow what a controversy. It is a personal choice. I can see both sides of it. I am fully vaccinated and my children are as well. I guess it is just what you see fit for your child. I do not see why you would not want to take the precautions not to get a diseases. But that is your choice not mine.
relix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
My point is still valid because I'm certainly not an advocate of mandatory healthcare, same as my stance on mandatory vaccines.

On a related note...
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...em_110089.html

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)

Last edited by DieselWeasel; 09-27-2012 at 02:23 PM.
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote