Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   This Damn Cold (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11179)

shepowerhelen 09-21-2012 01:45 PM

This Damn Cold

Just got a cold last night. I feel terrible today. Slept with vicks on my feet with socks and bundled up. Took some hot tea for breakfast today to work with me and my head is screaming. What are some good ways to get rid of this cold fast? I have a wedding tomorrow and want to enjoy myself.

BendtheBar 09-21-2012 01:52 PM

Nyquil and a sleep coma for 18 hours?

Seriously though I take Dayquil and it helps.

5kgLifter 09-21-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepowerhelen (Post 278728)
Just got a cold last night. I feel terrible today. Slept with vicks on my feet with socks and bundled up. Took some hot tea for breakfast today to work with me and my head is screaming. What are some good ways to get rid of this cold fast? I have a wedding tomorrow and want to enjoy myself.

There is no evidence to say that the Vicks on the feet idea works, you'd be better off placing it on your chest to help ease stuffiness overnight.

Chicken broth works well.

leefarley 09-21-2012 02:13 PM

there isint much you can do but to just rough it out.

angie828 09-21-2012 06:42 PM

Sleep and lots of liquids. Don't work out either or else it will take you a while to recover.

shepowerhelen 09-22-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 278739)
There is no evidence to say that the Vicks on the feet idea works, you'd be better off placing it on your chest to help ease stuffiness overnight.

Chicken broth works well.

I have always had luck with putting it on my feet. I do tend to feel somewhat better when I place it on my feet instead of my chest. I do not like the feeling it has on my chest.

bruteforce 09-22-2012 10:12 AM

my trick for getting through an event with a cold is:

caffeine.

This only works if you have to be sociable for 4 hours or less. But, if I slam down a large dose of a pre-workout and down a cup or two of coffee every hour or so at the event, I can pretend I'm fine(if a little coked out). After about 4 hours though, there's a brutal crash.

Ryano 09-22-2012 01:17 PM

Prolly to late now, but when I first start getting cold symptoms I use Zicam. It really works for me and knocks the cold out or at least shortens the duration.

shepowerhelen 09-23-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 279026)
Prolly to late now, but when I first start getting cold symptoms I use Zicam. It really works for me and knocks the cold out or at least shortens the duration.

I have never tried this but will be sure to pick some up for my next cold. It seems that my colds last forever so this would be a huge relief if it shortened it.

bamazav 09-23-2012 03:31 PM

I have noticed that since I started using ZMA at night I have had far fewer colds and those I have are of shorter duration. I think the zinc has something to do with it.