Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help me pick a priority (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1111)

AthleteCreator 11-02-2009 02:55 PM

Help me pick a priority

I've mentioned this a few times, but I'm sure not everyone has read every single post I've written. Hopefully I won't keep repeating this. Any-Hways, I'm an electrical engineer that is desperately trying to make the switch to gym owner/trainer/writer.

On my plate is:
  • Studying for the CSCS.
  • Writing for my website.
  • Writing an e-book training program.
  • Training/Trying to gain more online clients.
  • My day job.
  • Attempting to get in the gym.

The last one is the one I am struggling with. I, for the life of me, cannot choose a goal and stick with it.

On one hand, I just want to continue training for powerlifting competitions. I love moving heavy weight (heavy to me that is, lol) for 1 and 2 reps.

On the other, I feel like I can stand to gain about 10-15lb. of muscle, lose that amount in fat, and still be a "jacked out of my mind" 185lb'er. In other words, hypertrophy. Not to mention, the added mass, I would hope, would also correlate to bigger lifts once I returned to a powerlifting routine.

The other issue I'm having is actually getting to the gym more than once or twice a week. :( :mad: That other shit I listed takes up an incredible amount of time, and I'm considering adding even more to my plate. I'm just at a loss of how to prioritize shit right now. I LOVE to train, but right now, it seems like my efforts should be concentrated on making the career switch and everything that goes along with it.

Any advice? What would you do?

BendtheBar 11-02-2009 03:07 PM

I would limit training to maybe twice a week, ala strength coach John Christy. Train in the 5-10 rep range, and keep the focus on progression. This will help you keep strong, and add muscle. And free up time.

Website wise, you don't need to post everyday to keep it rolling. Do that once a week, but remain consistent.

E-book wise, don't rush it. Write a paragraph here and there...but keep a laptop handy.

I have to juggle many things, and balance is a big issue for me. I write for 3 major sites, manage content for one, moderate several forums, lift 3-5 times a week, write for a print magazine, on and on. Organize your time and stick to it. Don't go crazy with goals...like with the e-book...don't kill yourself. It will get done.

Just my 2 cents...

AthleteCreator 11-02-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 8825)
I would limit training to maybe twice a week, ala strength coach John Christy. Train in the 5-10 rep range, and keep the focus on progression. This will help you keep strong, and add muscle. And free up time.

I was going to add that my other thought would be to test out the program that I'm basing the e-book on. It's that "two-day" workout that I posted before.

It really fits my time constraints and goals that I want to accomplish. The only challenge is that Tuesdays is an all-bench session so I wouldn't be able to get a full body workout in on that day. I think I'll just try to modify that.

Here's the original post and program: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...day-split.html

One other thing that is on my list is designing a new website. I am working with a designer, but I need to do some wordsmithing and get a shit ton of pictures taken. I really hate that. lol

BendtheBar 11-02-2009 03:27 PM

How about you do a 20-rep squat set on Tuesday, one set of RDLS at 15-20 rep range, then bench?

And I feel your pain with website issues. Always more to do then you have time for.

AthleteCreator 11-02-2009 03:38 PM

I lift with a dude at his garage gym. Since he has time (and a kickass place to lift), he has the usual upper/lower splits. Tuesday is his bench day and so it is mine as well.

BendtheBar 11-02-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthleteCreator (Post 8831)
I lift with a dude at his garage gym. Since he has time (and a kickass place to lift), he has the usual upper/lower splits. Tuesday is his bench day and so it is mine as well.

Gotcha.

Bench/Back on Tuesday

Squat/Legs/Deadlift on 2nd day?

AthleteCreator 11-11-2009 08:21 AM

Welp. Fuck.

I've always said, once a competitor, ALWAYS a competitor.

USAPL MN State Open Feb. 13.

13 weeks out. Shit just got serious again.

glwanabe 11-11-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthleteCreator (Post 9734)
Welp. Fuck.

Love the attitude.

BendtheBar 11-11-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthleteCreator (Post 9734)
Welp. Fuck.

Hit it hard man. Any thoughts on a training approach?

AthleteCreator 11-11-2009 08:31 AM

Just started a new thread in the Powerlifting section for bench.