Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine
Default Running/Swimming

Alright, so I am in the process of training for Tough Mudder. The course is going to be 11 miles long with 24 obstacles. I am going to keep my weight training regimen the same, but I am going to have to incorporate running and possibly swimming to get my endurance up for the race.

My question is when is the best time to do my cardio/endurance training?

Schedule:
M-Deads
T-Press
W-Off
Th-Squat
F-Pullups

Right now I am planning on running on Tuesday after my press workout and then either swimming or running on Saturday morning. I figured to do it when I have a day off before lifting again to recover, but not sure if this is the best way to do it.

Also wasn't sure if I should swim and run, I know the swimming will help my endurance, but I wasn't sure if it was right to put it in here at this time.

Thanks for the help guys!

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I was a runner for a long time. I also ran after lifting quite a bit, I adapted fairly quickly and recovery wasn't much of an issue, but I did eat quite a bit at the time.

When I was running I found that 3x a week was good for building endurance. 2x a week was ok, but 3x a week I felt I made better progress. I think if you run 3x a week and try to improve either your time or distance a little each session you will find that after a month your endurance has dramatically improved.

You could certainly try 2x a week for a week or 2 and see how things go. Just start slow. There will be DOMS.

Swimming endurance I know little about. I do know that running dramatically improved my overall conditioning and endurance, allowing me to be better at other endurance related activities such as biking. It was much harder to get winded.

If I were you I would probably run after the squat workout, swim on Saturday, and run again after Monday's workout. Sometimes running can beat up the lower back (if you're not thin-ish), so doing it after squats and deads can not only keep the legs as fresh as possible for squats and deads, but also save the lower back if that is an issue at all.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn

Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Awesome, thanks for the information Steve! I will definitely go with that plan and see how it works for me.

I may have to increase my calories on some days, I will monitor my strength and bodyweight over the next week or 2 and see how it changes while running. If it becomes a point where I am losing too much or feel a lot weaker I will definitely increase my intake.

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good luck Shorts. And be careful, you might even find you like running!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I did the Tough Mudder in VT back in May. My training was limited due to injury, but I still did whatever I could, at least a 2-3 times a week. I would concentrate more on quad endurance, not so much strength. Yes, strength helps, but endurance and the ability to keep going are what really counts.

Using your plan, I would reco running 3x a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. The extra day is for rest after squat day. Remember you don't have to be very fast, just have deep enough cardio-endurance. I found the stairclimber to be a excellent machine in both hitting quads for endurance, while also keeping the heartrate up and lungs working hard.

I'm going in next week to have my injury finally fixed, and then once rehab is over, I'll be training for Spartan Race in November if I can be ready, and then planning on running TM twice next year, at both events in my area.. maybe more if I feel really good about it.

Once last thing, TM is a competition between you and the course, like golf. It's not a race, and you will want to pace yourself to start, and realize it will take a while. The rest times between events can be dangerous if you cool off too much, then hit cold water. Shock can stop a lot of people on the spot.

Finish the race, and you'll feel like a champion.. and a real dirty bastard in need of a hot shower..and more cold beer.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn

Thanks Ricka! I am doing it with a team so that should help with everything, I will definitely be the slowest out of the group but I plan on enduring and keeping pace with them. I know I can do it, I just have to keep on my plan like I want to and I will be alright.

Steve, I don't know if I will ever enjoy running. I am more of a sprinter at heart, I have those short bursts where I can fly, the distance has never been a strong suit of mine. But, this is something I figured would challenge my weaknesses and make me get better at it. So we will see, maybe you're right and I will end up liking it in the end!

-Socrates