Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ibuprofen (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11021)

ramm 09-04-2012 01:37 PM

Ibuprofen

How many ibuprofen can I take in a day without overdosing? Is it safe to take long term?

Chillen 09-04-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramm (Post 273764)
How many ibuprofen can I take in a day without overdosing? Is it safe to take long term?

When in doubt read the label. In addition, do a Google search on the medication. Never leave yourself any doubt in the content limit in 24 hours.

Peace and happiness,

Don

bruteforce 09-04-2012 02:52 PM

Depends on the dosage. I would not recommend exceeding the guidelines on the bottle without a doctor's suggestion. I'm not a doctor. My advice does not constitute advice from a medical professional.

That being said, I take 800mg at a time 5x a day when I need it with no ill effects. I've been prescribed 3-4 times this amount before and it was fine. This is my experience, yours may be different.

_J_ 09-04-2012 04:41 PM

I'm with bruteforce. When I need it, I take 800mg several times per day, but only for 2 or 3 days at a time.

The danger in ibuprofen is that a lot of it can negatively effect the stomach lining and cause internal bleeding. Different people can take different amounts and be fine. I can usually take a ton, but my wife cannot take ANY ibuprofen or any other NSAID (like aspirin, naproxin, etc) without it causing gastro-intestinal bleeding. So go slow at first and see how your body reacts.

relix 09-04-2012 05:27 PM

My doc told me that it was often used long term for people in pain. He said that I could take 3 to 4 every 4 to 6 hours, and not to exceed 12 in a 24 hour period.

exskinny 09-05-2012 01:58 PM

I do not feel that anything long term is really safe. But it is best to consult with your doctor first on this before taking anything long term.

5kgLifter 09-05-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramm (Post 273764)

Label or doctor's instructions as already stated. It's also wise to know that any medication taken longterm can screw up your stomach big time in addition to causing other issues; hubby had to be taken off Ibuprofen because of blood issues related to its longterm use.

If you don't need meds, don't take them, if you value your health; too many people take meds just because they are experiencing a touch of discomfort, don't be one of them...for example, if you're using them for DOMs etc, suck it up and deal with the mild discomfort and ditch the meds.

angie828 09-06-2012 12:32 PM

My doctor told me that I could take 3 at a time. She told my husband that he could take a man sized dose of 4 at a time. But I would not take any over the limit on the bottle.

crashed 09-09-2012 01:19 PM

I try not to take any if I can get by with it. I just do not like the doped up feeling. I usually suggest a hot shower to make you feel better, or ask someone for a massage.

bonkers 09-19-2012 01:44 PM

I am not too sure but do be cautious if you take aspirin. My brother was taking them to help thin his blood and then he had some internal bleeding and he was not able to take the aspirin again. They were not sure if the aspirin had anything to do with the bleeding or not.