Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #41
Maiar
Brawn
Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Maiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality posts

-If you have a pair of legs, every routine you do should have squatting in it.
-Assistance is great but compounds are key.
-There's no time like the present. Do your workouts when you have time or you will regret it. I make the mistake often of being lazy and saying 'i'll do it later'.
-Rep schemes aren't the be all end all. Just make sure you're gaining strength each workout, whatever your rep scheme.
Maiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #42
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

foods are our friends

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #43
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Your w/o should include atleast one exercise that you hate or that feels dangerous, and your should give it all on that exercise.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 AM   #44
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

-You have never been alive if you haven't done the Deadlift!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #45
Lerho
Brawn
Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Keep workouts to an hour or less.
This is highly debatable. I personally like to train 90-110min. I consume a carb/protein drink after 45mins or so. Basically when I do strength training and my training session usually includes squat, bench, deadlift, chins and dips I cant make my workout under 90 minutes. So when a person trains only 2-3 times a week (like me), training sessions can be longer. Its different if one trains 5 times a week for sure.
Lerho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #46
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think the core issue with extended training is the research that reveals that longer workouts are catabolic. Personally I have never seen these studies first hand. I have always recommended hour training but then again I was ignorant about full body training. Anyone have knowledge of these studies? Links? I would like to learn a bit more on the issue.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #47
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

None of what I or anyone else says about weight training is new and original. It has all been said before in different words. Sports science is mostly about putting precise numbers to what the old-timers learned by just trying it and seeing.

Because we sit still at work, at home, at leisure, and in the journey in between, we have to move our bodies in the gym. Once I worked in a sheet metal factory moving and cutting quarter inch sheet steel, and I cycled to work every day. I didn't need a gym membership then.

Consistent effort over time gets results. More important than which routine you choose is that you be consistent with it. Better an ordinary workout you stick with than an awesome one you quit. Most people quit.

If in every session you do more than you did before, you will get stronger, fitter, and your physique will change. More weight, or more reps or more sets. More range of motion, too, but that really just applies to beginners. For everyone else, more weight, more reps or more sets.

Strength and fitness are built in the gym, size at the dinner table. No amount of weight training will make you bigger if you live on a bowl of rice and stick of celery every day, nor will it make you smaller if you eat 20 quarter pounders a day.

Recovery depends on food and rest. The ordinary person has poor diet and poor sleep, so struggle to work out 2 or 3 times a week.

None of what I or anyone else says about weight training is new and original.

Last edited by Kyle Aaron; 06-26-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Kyle Aaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #48
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
None of what I or anyone else says about weight training is new and original. It has all been said before in different words. Sports science is mostly about putting precise numbers to what the old-timers learned by just trying it and seeing.

Because we sit still at work, at home, at leisure, and in the journey in between, we have to move our bodies in the gym. Once I worked in a sheet metal factory moving and cutting quarter inch sheet steel, and I cycled to work every day. I didn't need a gym membership then.

Consistent effort over time gets results. More important than which routine you choose is that you be consistent with it. Better an ordinary workout you stick with than an awesome one you quit. Most people quit.

If in every session you do more than you did before, you will get stronger, fitter, and your physique will change. More weight, or more reps or more sets. More range of motion, too, but that really just applies to beginners. For everyone else, more weight, more reps or more sets.

Strength and fitness are built in the gym, size at the dinner table. No amount of weight training will make you bigger if you live on a bowl of rice and stick of celery every day, nor will it make you smaller if you eat 20 quarter pounders a day.

Recovery depends on food and rest. The ordinary person has poor diet and poor sleep, so struggle to work out 2 or 3 times a week.

None of what I or anyone else says about weight training is new and original.
1000 times yes! ^
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #49
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

It isn't as good as sex but a very close 2nd. OUPS I mean it is as good as sex!!!!
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote