Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
DYEL
New Brawn
Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

DYEL is off to a bad start
Default Chew

I chew and have been wanting to quit as I know it is a disguisting habit. Anyway to get me motivated to quit, can you tell me some ways that chewing tobacco is bad for body lifting? Maybe this will get the ball rolling for me.
DYEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

chew gave him tongue cancer that spread through his mouth and jaw.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

If Titans picture doesn't do it for you nothing will.

I quit a three pack a day cigarette habit a little over four years ago. Smoked since I was twelve, Quit at Forty. If I can do it so can you!

Get ANGRY at your addiction!

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Jesda
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

I would say that photo would do it for me. You can do it if you believe.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
tomlifts
New Brawn
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

tomlifts is off to a bad start

Dude just quit. you owe it to yourself to be healthy.
tomlifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I quit for a month once. What happened? I got stronger and had more energy in the gym. Given, I chewed I while lifting, but I believe that it helped me have more energy. Nicotine does something like constrict your blood vessels which I guess would cause you to have less blood flowing to your muscles. I might be wrong. Aside from that, it will give you better teeth and gums. It's been six days since I've last had it, and I just put a dip in. Am I going to dip tomorrow? NO.

Quitting is not hard.(It is, but it's not. Doesn't make sense I know.) I will tell you that addiction will always be there. You'll walk into a gas station for the next few weeks after quitting and think "Maybe...". Don't do it. I know what I said in the above paragraph is completely contradictory to what I'm telling you. Baby steps though. Eventually, you won't want it as much. You just have to be consistent. Stop for a couple of days. Go once or twice. Stop for a few more days after. You'll come off soon enough and feel better. You'll feel stronger, more energized, and more confident. You have to do what you have to do.

Here's the quitting philosophy I'd recommend and that I take: Don't let it control you. You want a dip shortly after deciding to quit? Ok, allow it, but don't torture yourself. Think of it like dieting. Schedule a cheat. A cheat or two later you'll see the progress you've made and you won't want it. You decide when you dip and when you don't. You can't be lenient about it though. You have to be strict. If you want to torture yourself and go cold turkey? Give it a shot, but I don't recommend it. Become your own master. When it's over, it's over for you. You CHOSE to dip, and today YOU CHOOSE NOT to dip.

This could be good advice or bad advice for you. I'm not you. I'm only telling you how I am. The ultimate goal is to stop. As long as you can get there, it doesn't matter how you do it. Gum is also your friend.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I quit chewing "cold turkey" 15 years ago. Two years ago, I was diagnosed with oral cancer. Surgery. Loss of feeling in my tongue, and the right side of my face and neck. Having to eat through a tube shoved up my nose for two weeks. A big ass scar on my neck. Loss of some speech capacity. Loss of self-esteem. Loss of time from work. Loss of intimacy from my spouse. It ain't worth the little bit of satisfaction that chew can bring.

QUIT NOW!!!

Nicotine is a difficult thing to kick, but my advice is to take it one day at a time. Decide, "TODAY, I'm not going to chew." You can do anything for a day. And that one day is all you have to concern yourself with. Tomorrow you can decide again to chew or not to chew. You'll probably decide not to chew that day either. Soon, you'll have put together a string of days where you have decided not to chew. This method puts you in control of the situation. That's a powerful place to be.

Good luck.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Another thing to add.

How much are you spending each year? Would it amount to an extra paycheck or two? Imagine giving yourself a raise by quitting chewing. Imagine what you would be able to do with all that money.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Big V has some very good points. The money is a huge factor too. Are you spending $10 a week? That's over $500 a year or just an extra couple of pounds of meat each week. (I would've spent $25 a week if I didn't go the cheap route...)
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

This is going to be longer than other posts. I apologize for that.

I never confessed on MAB, but I think to make you realize, I must. I quit tobacco smoking (cold turkey) 6 months ago after 13 years. Last 4-5 years I smoked a pack a day (20 sticks). No medication, no nicotine patches, just quit the next morning after smoking my last cigarette in the night. Why did I? I do not know. I would not say for health reasons per se, or to impress my wife. She never asked me to quit but mentioned that she would wait for me to quit.

I wanted to test my will power and I was finding myself weak. In order to test myself, I discovered that I can live without it, never thought I would. I am still undergoing bodily changes due to quitting and expect them to continue during 2013 as well. But, I enjoy my victory over my weakness everyday, as more time is passing by, farther I am going from the urge. I do not want to lose what I have gained due to quitting, and as I grow healthier, my beliefs are fortified that I am better quit. I work with a team of smokers who were trying to pull me back to my addiction. But even they have realized my seriousness and have stopped pulling me.

I ask myself, was it worth it? 13 years I have harmed myself, not a small period. I now breath better, eat better, I have a better frame of mind to solve the daily problems. I have a new lease of life. I have become more positive in life. My point of view has changed towards life. I am cleansed physically, mentally, morally, and spiritually, if that is important for you to know. I feel cleansed of all the toxicity I have been putting inside my body. But the battle is far from won yet. After meal urges still try to dent my resolve, but I do not pay attention to it.

You understand that there are 2 things:

1. Decision to quit
2. Stay quit

The 2nd one obviously is tougher, but as time passes an individual gets used to it. It is all about willpower after that. Slowly, as an individual experiences health benefits, he starts enjoying them. Give some time so that the benefits come and take my word, as you feel the benefits you would try harder to quit, the effort increases. My previous attempts to quit failed due to insecurity rising from the thought that if I live for 40 years more how can I stay quit for 40 years? It is too much. My suggestion is to take it day by day and fight the urge and extinguish it.

Get indifferent towards the future, take the day as it comes, try not to accompany your friends who chew and learn to refuse on their face. Try to do some self realization and self analysis. Consider yourself weak if you go back to chewing. Keep a log of the quitting process, as in money saved, day quit, 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 1 month etc.

At last, I want to tell you that I am new to powerlifting, I chose this sport as I was in bodybuilding for good 2 years (despite smoking, however largely reduced). I chose powerlfiting, after I quit smoking. I substituted smoking with Powerlifting and since then I have not looked back.

I release my 13 years of anger every time I lift. I have made this a matter of life and death, a matter of survival. If I go back to smoking, I consider myself dead, I say this to myself everyday. Instead, I lift more. As a matter of fact, I lift in my office gym, without any trainer and without a bar. I use Dumbbells. I am teaching myself, everyday I learn something new about lifting. This new pursuit has kept me away from smoking and till my death I will keep on lifting now.

If you have introduced this thread, you better respect all the posters who are willing to help you and invest their valuable time quoting their experiences. If not, then you are actually disrespecting the posters here.

Rest all depends on you.

I wish you luck and health. Get strong(er) in other words.

TM2981

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER

Last edited by themaster2981; 09-04-2012 at 08:48 AM.
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote