Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Path to Fat and Lean (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10896)

BendtheBar 08-21-2012 08:49 AM

Path to Fat and Lean

1 Attachment(s)
Posting for discussion.

Typical type of stuff passed around Facebook. What say you?

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/att...1&d=1345556925

5kgLifter 08-21-2012 09:15 AM

It's a stereotypical misconception, IMO.

People can eat either diet (follow either lifestyle, smoking etc) and still get fat or lean...eating too much good food (above needs*) and doing no exercise will still result in gaining weight, just as eating a less than optimal or junk food based diet can also lead to remaining lean if the calories are enither in excess and exericse is added in to the mix.

Food, above needs, it's interesting how the leaner person tends, overall, to eat more than some of the bigger/fatter people, another misconception that if a person is bigger then they are that way because they're eating too much yet they are eating possibly less than someone who works out and appears leaner.

It's more complex than diet alone.

Off Road 08-21-2012 09:19 AM

T.O. (Go Seahawks), I think it was T.O., eats a lot of McDonalds and is still lean, fit, and healthy.

kitarpyar 08-21-2012 09:23 AM

I suppose, the first part could be correct. Bodybuilderish leanness and getting to 6% bodyfat levels will take some real dedication.

The 2nd one is off the mark. While I dont smoke (except for a cigar once in a blue moon), I drink a bit, and definitely eat a lot at MacD or Pammel (local deli, lots of lamb meat there), love bacon (who doesn't), have the odd beer and am no where near the snapshot shown. :thefinger:

IronWill 08-21-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 270030)
Food, above needs, it's interesting how the leaner person tends, overall, to eat more than some of the bigger/fatter people, another misconception that if a person is bigger then they are that way because they're eating too much yet they are eating possibly less than someone who works out and appears leaner.

It's more complex than diet alone.

I saw a show recently where this woman developed tumors on her pituitary gland and suddenly became grossly obese. She tried for years to lose weight with no success. One doctor finally made the connection. Surgery. Weight began dropping off!

5kgLifter 08-21-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWill (Post 270040)
I saw a show recently where this woman developed tumors on her pituitary gland and suddenly became grossly obese. She tried for years to lose weight with no success. One doctor finally made the connection. Surgery. Weight began dropping off!

I may have seen the same program, she was in to tennis and all sorts prior to the age of 20y/o and the thing robbed her of 25 years, pretty much, with her having to rely on walking aids and swollen joints, in addition to extra weight yet wasn't eating loads of food.

I felt really sorry for her, glad they got it sorted but she still lost years to pain and missing out on the things she wanted to do.

BendtheBar 08-21-2012 09:42 AM

Pete Rubish diet...McDonalds, packaged meals and Koolaid:

Quote:

I've been eating a ton of double cheeseburgers, fries, and chicken tenders. and tried this new juice strawberry kiwi. and hungry man tv dinners. that's the diet right now.
Quantity control is reasonable for his metabolism, obviously, but it does break the stereotype that you need oats, broccoli and chicken breasts to build without getting fat.

Not the healthiest diet, all that processed and deep fried food, but he's young and his body is forgiving.

BendtheBar 08-21-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitarpyar (Post 270039)
I suppose, the first part could be correct. Bodybuilderish leanness and getting to 6% bodyfat levels will take some real dedication.

Absolutely. It's not real far off from what shredded bodybuilders actually eat to get lean.

MC 08-21-2012 10:11 AM

I drink beer/vodka, eat burgers, and bacon, and I don't look like the second picture.

In fact, I'm never giving up bacon. So I guess I will never be shredded.

Fazc 08-21-2012 10:17 AM

It's interesting that at least one (whey) and potentially 3 (whey in water + whey in oatmeal) are pimped by the supplement industries, and that is associated with the bodybuilder guy.