Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default lower back stiffness

You guys ever wake up with horrible lower back stiffness? any early morning stretches or exercises to improve this, pushing and pulling heavy pallets all day it seems my back is so stiff at 5:20 when getting up to go to work! Makes me nervous to even deadlift cause it feels as if it isnt gonna stretch out any and just going to destroy my lower back
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

My back is always stiff and in knots every morning. Litterally takes 1/2 hour before I can stand up straight. Just something I live with after my back injury.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sometimes that can come from standing itself, rather than the physical exertion. Most likely for a guy your age it's from a combination of both.

Reason #1 to finish college.

Never deadlift more than your back can handle on a given day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
You guys ever wake up with horrible lower back stiffness? any early morning stretches or exercises to improve this, pushing and pulling heavy pallets all day it seems my back is so stiff at 5:20 when getting up to go to work! Makes me nervous to even deadlift cause it feels as if it isnt gonna stretch out any and just going to destroy my lower back
Doing stretches and back strengthening in general will work. Stretching is better in the evening because the body is warmer after being used all day, so you'll get a much better stretch then than you would if you tried to stretch first thing in the morning; I know this from personal experience with yoga, which was always much harder in the morning and a whole lot easier in the evening.

You may not think that stretching in the evening will improve issues in the morning but give it a few days/weeks and see what happens, though, you'll have to be very consistent with what you're doing; it would be pointless to do one day and then not do anything for 4 days and expect the back to respond...some people find sticking to stretching difficult or stop when they notice improvements.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Firstly as Btb say's a good reason to finish college.

I'd definitely try and still do something in the gym, and most importantly make sure you're eating enough. I often think some of these minor aches and sprains when people start out are caused by just a lack of muscle in those areas. Muscle has a very good way of covering weaker areas and acting as insulation almost, to injuries. One of the reasons why as you get more experienced you typically get less day-to-day aches and sprains. This is balanced well by catastrophic injuries and the undeniable march of old age so I guess it's not all that good!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

The other thing to consider is the overall tightness of your posterior chain. If you are not regularly (2-3 times a week) stretching your hamstrings and calves, they will pull on your lower back and cause stiffness, tightness and pain.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for all the replies guys/gals. And also guys did finish college. Have my electricians degree theres just more money where i am at the moment.. Ill be on later to give a proper reply to you all.. At work at the moment
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
The other thing to consider is the overall tightness of your posterior chain. If you are not regularly (2-3 times a week) stretching your hamstrings and calves, they will pull on your lower back and cause stiffness, tightness and pain.
This is actually how it feels like a v in my lower back because its pulling, when i try and stretch it when its this tight i feel pain and a tearing feeling
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Coming off a lower back injury I do these 3 streches every night:

1.) Arms stretching above your head, feet shoulder width. Then bend at the hips towards your left and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat with the right.

2.) Arms behind your back and hold your hands together. Pull down and back with your shoulders (best way to explain is to act like youre trying to pull your shoulders to the ground). hold for 10 seconds

3.) Hands on the wall, arms extended, feet shoulder width apart. Push your hips forward as far as you can while keeping your hands and feet planted. Should feel this heavily in your lower back. Hold for 10 seconds.
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote