Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
FIREdawg
New Brawn
Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Supp: Food
FIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good posts
Default Workout at work.

While my firehouse has a gym, it is TINY. Not more than 3 people can workout at one time, and since we have specific time during the day to do so, it gets croweded quickly. So there's lots of things around the station I can use outside (weather permiting of course, and even then I have engine bay when its raining). Here's what I have to work with and things to do:

Old tire, rather large and heavy was thinking tire flips.

2" heavy rope; waves, slams or jumping jacks

Sledge hammer, on the tire.

Spare bar and weights from the gym, squats, deadlift or Bear Complex?

Kettlebells 30, 50, 70 lbs

Medicine Ball, 20lbs 30 lbs

Turkish Get Ups w/ kettle bell or medicine ball

Crunches, Leg lifts, Mason twist w/ medicine ball, Butterflies or some AB work

Was thinking of using a Tabata type of interval system, what would a good work/rest time be? 1 minute work, 30 sec rest?

Granted, it is outside the box, but I can view this a more of a job specific work out for firefighting than the same old boring lifting weights and running on treadmills. And from what I've been reading, Tabata is just as good a aerobic workout as a strength training... right?
FIREdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Sounds like Fun in the Sun.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
fatnomore
New Brawn
Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16 Points: 918, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

fatnomore is off to a bad start

I would not mind trying this sort of workout!
fatnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
FIREdawg
New Brawn

FIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good postsFIREdawg has made some good posts

HOLY POOP! I LOVE THIS STUFF. Its like Cardio for the A.D.D!

5 stations: Tire Flip, 2" Rope, Medicine ball 15 lbs, Kettlebell 30 lbs

Round 1: Tire flip 20 sec work, 10 sec rest; 8 cycles

2 min rest

Round 2: 2" Rope 20 sec work, 10 sec rest; 8 cycles (alternate between alternating wave, rope slam, and shelfing/twist)

2 min rest

Round 3: Kettlebell 30 lbs 20 sec work, 10 sec rest; 8 cycles (alternate between clean and press per arm, squats, and swings per arm)

2 min rest

Round 4: Medicine Ball 15 lbs 20 sec work, 10 sec rest; 8 cycles (alternate between wall throw per arm, and overhead slam)

2 min rest

Round 5: The Whole She-bang. (Tire flip for 20 sec, 10 sec rest, Rope wave for 20 sec, 10 sec rest, kettlebell squats for 20 sec, 10 sec rest, medicine ball overhead slam for 20 sec, 10 sec) repeat.

fall on floor exhausted. I didnt measure my heart rate, but it was definitely PUMPING and so was my Breathing rate.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
FIREdawg
New Brawn

Next time I will take resting heart rate, midway through the cycles and again at ending. Shouldn't be hard since we have a pulse ox in our aid bag.

After all said and done I am legitimately wore out. Feels good because I haven't been pushing the cardio as hard as I could simply due to boredom of the treadmill.

Can see this will be a big help in keeping cardio fun and short (25 +\- minutes) yet taxing enough to reach target heart rate and beyond.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
zeuslet
New Brawn
Points: 269, Level: 5 Points: 269, Level: 5 Points: 269, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

zeuslet is off to a bad start

Firedawg, sounds like you love your workouts. It does sound interesting. I think that being outdooors doing your workout is better than being cooped up inside.
zeuslet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
FIREdawg
New Brawn

It's sort of like cross fit. If i can say that here on this forum...? It does kind of suck in the summer heat, but done early enough is not too bad. I don't necessarily follow the crossfit WOD, if I have the equipment, or just whatever I feel like experimenting or think I need to work on that day.

I try to incorporate at least one weighted exercise during the routine. Deadlifts, Standing overhead press, bicep curls, .... just something you can push out a lot of in 20 seconds.

And since posting, the Fire Department gave out heart rate monitors to aid in a healthy lifestyle and fitness. My HR goes from a resting 60 BPM, to an average of 160 ish for the duration of the workout. Keep that up for 30-40 minutes and you've got a great "outside the box" cardio workout.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdawg View Post
It's sort of like cross fit. If i can say that here on this forum...?
A lot of guys here do extra conditioning work, complexes and unique circuits. Just last night one of the guys was jumping rope in between sets.

Whatever gets results. That's what this forum is about.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

:jumprope:

That would be me. Honestly if it is suiting you for the level of fitness you want then you should be doing it!

I also do BB Complexes on one of my off days to just keep the blood flowing. But, if you get bored with the tabata style you have enough equipment to do some type of strongman training as well

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I was all about fitness for a long time. I skipped rope, was an avid runner, did a lot of bodyweight work, you name it.

If I were younger I would probably be eating up Crossfit workouts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote