Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Soda gulping wet noodle men

Reposting for discussion...

T NATION | Man Up and Military Press

Quote:
There was a time when the "average" American man was something special. He was both feared and admired strong yet compassionate, fiercely determined yet respectful, and above all else, never one to just take the easy way out.

Sadly, what constitutes "average" today entitled man-children addicted to 32 ounce sodas, overpriced gadgets, and reality TV would make our archetypal American man reach for the Alka Seltzer. The average man has become, sadly, a whiny pussy, and no where is this more evident than in the mainstream fitness scene.

Today every gym rat has an excuse for not busting his or her ass. You all know the type this hurts, that's impinged, and jeepers creepers I can't do that lift, that's crazy! It's amazing any of them can tie their shoes without hyperextending their digitus medius.

Sure, there are individuals with debilitating injuries and those who orthopedically can't perform certain lifts, but for the vast majority this simply isn't the case. Most of these trainees, quite frankly, just hate working hard. They flat-out suck.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickhead
Most of these trainees, quite frankly, just hate working hard. They flat-out suck.
GREEEEEAAAAT Messiah complex.

Come save us from our lack of work ethic oh mighty T-Nation writer!

****ing bullshit.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Sounds like he's trying to be Chaos and Pain.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Valid comments. BUT you have over looked the people he is talking about.

Every day Gym Rats. The same people you all post "Fail" vids about and make fun of.

Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I guess the difference would be that when I (rarely) post fail videos, I am mocking their gym abilities. I am not making a value judgement on their worth as a person. This is what C&P does and what I object to this guy doing.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I read that article a few days ago and almost posted it here, but for different reasons. He starts off with the chest pounding about the overhead press being so "Manly", but then quickly starts to recommend a whole bunch of kettlebell exercises. Nothing wrong with kettlebell exercises, but c'mon, stick with the original theme buddy. I guess "Man up and press" doesn't fill the pages so...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
YoRR
Brawn
Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Military Press
YoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good posts

Military Press is my favorite lift.

Currently have a shoulder injury unfortunately
YoRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

To Rich's point...(Because I am the one who posts most of them)

If someone climbs on top of the assisted pull ups machine, sans socks, and does a spread eagle...I think it's funny. I not going to put on a politically correct mask and pretend it's not. Laughing at unusual situations and exercises isn't the same as devaluing someone's worth.

In my household we laugh at each other every day, because we understand that hatred isn't driving the laughter. We love watching AFV and fail videos.

Just because someone laughs doesn't mean we have the right to decide what spirit the laughter was in. Watch any fail video on the net. When someone crashes people laugh first, see if they're alive second. Doesn't mean they want their friend dead.

Funny things are funny.

Back to the article...

Quote:
Today every gym rat has an excuse for not busting his or her ass.
I disagree. Most people on forums, and gym rats for that matter, workout several times per week. In fact, I think most workout harder than I do. I think working smart is harder than working hard, but that is a topic for another debate.

If someone doesn't want to do squats, overhead barbell presses and deadlifts I can show them how to reach their muscle building goals. Doesn't mean I think it's the best way, but I still help.

Do I think they are looking for the easy way? Yes, many of them are. No doubt. Don't we all want an easier way? You can't always win a war with one battle, so I try to at least get them focused on progression.

Some people do need to man up. Most people simply don't understand that their goals require a lifetime commitment. Are they pussies? Who cares. Give them the best response and move on.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-09-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRR View Post
Military Press is my favorite lift
Yup, right next to squats. It's a great lift to perform and watch others put up some big numbers.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

If we want to talk about being mean-spirited, how about the hefty portion of ripped individuals in the fitness community that devalue anyone they consider to be overweight...

I see this crap on Facebook day in and day out. These people aren't laughing or jabbing in a good-spirited way, they are acting like insecure little twits, putting down anyone who isn't up to their standards.

I can't put up a picture of a powerlifter who's not ripped on MAB's Facebook page without 50 hater comments, calling him everything from fat ass to whatever. It's embarrassing. I put up a video of Mark Bell once and good Lord, you would have thought I posted a picture of the world's fattest man.

This type of attitude is pathetic.