Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Soda gulping wet noodle men

Reposting for discussion...

T NATION | Man Up and Military Press

Quote:
There was a time when the "average" American man was something special. He was both feared and admired strong yet compassionate, fiercely determined yet respectful, and above all else, never one to just take the easy way out.

Sadly, what constitutes "average" today entitled man-children addicted to 32 ounce sodas, overpriced gadgets, and reality TV would make our archetypal American man reach for the Alka Seltzer. The average man has become, sadly, a whiny pussy, and no where is this more evident than in the mainstream fitness scene.

Today every gym rat has an excuse for not busting his or her ass. You all know the type this hurts, that's impinged, and jeepers creepers I can't do that lift, that's crazy! It's amazing any of them can tie their shoes without hyperextending their digitus medius.

Sure, there are individuals with debilitating injuries and those who orthopedically can't perform certain lifts, but for the vast majority this simply isn't the case. Most of these trainees, quite frankly, just hate working hard. They flat-out suck.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickhead
Most of these trainees, quite frankly, just hate working hard. They flat-out suck.
GREEEEEAAAAT Messiah complex.

Come save us from our lack of work ethic oh mighty T-Nation writer!

****ing bullshit.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Sounds like he's trying to be Chaos and Pain.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Valid comments. BUT you have over looked the people he is talking about.

Every day Gym Rats. The same people you all post "Fail" vids about and make fun of.

Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I guess the difference would be that when I (rarely) post fail videos, I am mocking their gym abilities. I am not making a value judgement on their worth as a person. This is what C&P does and what I object to this guy doing.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I read that article a few days ago and almost posted it here, but for different reasons. He starts off with the chest pounding about the overhead press being so "Manly", but then quickly starts to recommend a whole bunch of kettlebell exercises. Nothing wrong with kettlebell exercises, but c'mon, stick with the original theme buddy. I guess "Man up and press" doesn't fill the pages so...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I read that article a few days ago and almost posted it here, but for different reasons. He starts off with the chest pounding about the overhead press being so "Manly", but then quickly starts to recommend a whole bunch of kettlebell exercises. Nothing wrong with kettlebell exercises, but c'mon, stick with the original theme buddy. I guess "Man up and press" doesn't fill the pages so...
I agree. When he says "man up and press", I thought he was going to address folks who dont use the OHP (or aren't moving heavy weights for this lift). This would constitute the majority of the people in the gym (and not elite lifters). I would think, the best way to improve the press for them would be just to ... do the overhead press rather than do a bunch of kettleball stuff.

May be I am just ignorant, but I think I will stick to the simple clean and press in order to improve my clean and press.

-------------------------------------------

Also agree with OR, Ltl and BTB on the disses. In most cases, a lot of lifters looking for an easy way out (and believing that this exists) have simply been misled by the ads or just have different goals. The same people, more likely than not bust the a$$es in their day jobs to earn money and put the food on the table for their family. Fails in the gym, lifting big weights or looking good dont reflect the worth of a person. But yeah, if they tickle a funny bone, I will laugh and share it.

That said, lets recognize the tone of the article is what it is in order to grab the reader's attention. I doubt if the author would be immature to judge a person based on his gym routine.

Last edited by kitarpyar; 07-09-2012 at 11:58 AM.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
May be I am just ignorant, but I think I will stick to the simple clean and press in order to improve my clean and press.
I'm with you here Kit.

I like a lot of the articles on T-Nation, but lately a good portion of them are spent pushing/trumpeting/explaining obscure exercises to strengthen weaknesses. I am not sold on them being needed for a good portion of the readership. I am a minimalist, what can I say.

I reserve the right to be wrong or change my opinion.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
YoRR
Brawn
Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Military Press
YoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good postsYoRR has made some very good posts

Military Press is my favorite lift.

Currently have a shoulder injury unfortunately
YoRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRR View Post
Military Press is my favorite lift
Yup, right next to squats. It's a great lift to perform and watch others put up some big numbers.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote