Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

The author has a point?

If you were to train someone who doesnt do any overhead press to excel in OHP, would you have him do some OHP or get him to do a bunch of assistance work without focusing much on the actual lift itself. If the author is going to diss folks for being so lazy that they cant bother to press, why doesnt he just ask them to start pressing as heavy as they can with a barbell, i.e. the actual lift itself?

If the author's intention is to improve the OHP abilities of a lifter who already uses the lift and has stalled, then I dont see the reason for dissing him in the first place.

Maybe I am an idiot, but it seems to me that the author here doesnt have any point worth making (at least not in the sense the discussion that is going on in this thread). This is blatant attention grabbing.

In a sense, I can understand where DW's and BTB's comments come from and can agree with them. In academics, I see a similar phenomenon with the kids I teach. Each time I see them reach for their calculators when they need to multiply 10 by 1.5 or find the square root of 64, I get a sinking feeling and despair momentarily for the future of math and science. But then there are a few brilliant students (still) who solve most problems mentally - these are the ones who later go ahead and do quality research and take science forward. Just like there are a few lifters who still work hard and reach elite status.

It is different strokes for different folks. There is no point in being judgemental about a nerd or a lawyer or a doctor or anyone who doesnt lift for a living for not lifting heavy and hard. There are a number of students who cant handle extremely simple math. Doesnt mean they should be laughed at, or dissed for that. It means jack$hi+ whether you lift hard or not if thats not what you do for a living (or at least take up as a serious interest). It means jack$hi+ if you cant crunch numbers if thats not what you do for a living (or take up as a serious interest).

Last edited by kitarpyar; 07-10-2012 at 01:02 PM.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #42
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
It is different strokes for different folks. There is no point in being judgemental about a nerd or a lawyer or a doctor or anyone who doesnt lift for a living for not lifting heavy and hard. There are a number of students who cant handle extremely simple math. Doesnt mean they should be laughed at, or dissed for that. It means jack$hi+ whether you lift hard or not if thats not what you do for a living (or at least take up as a serious interest). It means jack$hi+ if you cant crunch numbers if thats not what you do for a living (or take up as a serious interest).
I was right there with you until you finished with the above paragraph. If your true intentions are to get big and strong, and you are physically capable, don't go around believing that laterals will have the same effect as heavy barbell presses. If you are in school to get an education, and you don't have any learning disabilities, and nobody's asking you to solve anything too hard, then sack-up and learn how to multiply. I have certain expectations for my students and I don't accept excuses from them.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #43
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I re-read the article and, really, it sucks.

Whatever the merits of the training advice, it's full of posturing macho nonsense.

Many of his readers will be surprised to learn that sitting at a computer all day is a sissy job. This from a guy that's a personal trainer. Now, I'm not knocking anyone who is a personal trainer for a living at all, but really, has that got any more credence as a 'manly' job than a computer based one? If so, why? Paying someone to help you meet completely frivolous goals could be seen as reflecting the same over-affluent, under-skilled society he seems to despise.

I like lifting weights and I like bodybuilding, but it seems silly to me to suggest one exercise is more 'manly' than another. What's inherently manly about any of it? Whether we're doing a tricep kickback or doing a military press, it's all just a self-serving and ultimately narcissistic way of spending our time. Which is fine - that's the nature of hobbies: pointless, pleasurable diversions. But my view would be don't mix any of this up with real life: you're not some sort of hero, or more of a man, because you choose to military press rather than do a set of laterals.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #44
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'm just happy I now know I'm not a real man because I rarely press overhead. I feel better that I can address the issue. Maybe a bigger beard...

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #45
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I'm just happy I now know I'm not a real man because I rarely press overhead. I feel better that I can address the issue. Maybe a bigger beard...

LtL
Your rock-pressing ancestors look down on you and groan and gnash their teeth. They don't weep though, obviously.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #46
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:

LtL
And, I'm unhappy to know that I'm manly because I do OHP

Maybe I should switch to lateral raises...j/k and in no way implying they are more unmanly
Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #47
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I do more lateral raises than overhead presses. It's a miracle I can still stand up to pee.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #48
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I hate lifting my arms to scratch my head. I'm too fat to reach remote areas, and it gives me the worst shoulder pump.

And I don't give a crap if I'm a man or not. I feed my family, pay my bills and don't pee on the toilet seat. I do what I can each day. I'm just glad to find time to laugh.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #49
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Your rock-pressing ancestors look down on you and groan and gnash their teeth. They don't weep though, obviously.
I'm rollin' on the ground. Those were so funny.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #50
Off Road
Max Brawn

I just get confused by that article. It's like two different guys wrote it. I wonder if the author didn't turn in all the kettlebell stuff and T-Nation didn't just add all their usual chest pounding macho crap to the front of it?