Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!
Default Final Off-season Workout

Just a wrap-up of my son's training...

My son did his last strength workout of the off-season last night. I can't believe that he stuck with it and stay motivated for the entire year. He has made incredible progress and I'm so very proud of him. His last workout went like this...

General Warm-ups
Push-ups - 3 sets of 12 reps
Goblet Squat - 45 lbs x 2 sets of 20 reps
Back Raises - 2 sets of 12 reps
1 Arm Db Row - 45 lbs x 2 sets of 12 reps
125 lb Prowler Suicides

The thing that made this workout so great was that he maintained a very fast pace throughout the entire workout. We got it all done in less than 30 minutes. His strength and conditioning has improved greatly over the last year.

As you can see, my goal was not to have him lifting heavy weights or using barbell movements, my goal was to have him improve on bodyweight exercises and learn to work hard. I figure we have a long time to get him under the bar if his interest stays strong, he's only going to be 12 years old.

He has come a long way from the kid that struggled to do 5 semi-decent push-ups and 5 bodyweight squats with any depth. We set many goals for him at the beginning and he surpassed all of them; His goals were doing 20 good push-ups, 50 bodyweight squats, a single pull-up, and getting his 20 yard sprint time under 3.5 seconds. He blew all those out of the water.

We did use a few barbell movements along the way as a reward or to keep him motivated. He enjoyed lifting weights like Daddy and his cousin once in a while. But we kept them very light and focussed on form only, not progression. We used a military press with a light training bar, a Trap Bar with light weight set up on blocks, and of course we used Db Rows pretty regularly because he just can't do enough chin-ups yet for an effective upper back strengthening exercise.

Next week we go to Disneyland and he will have the whole week to rest and enjoy himself. The following week he starts football conditioning with his team so this was his last workout with me for the year. From here on out until the end of football season he can just play football and be a kid. I think playing football will be better for him than anything we can do in the gym and he'll still be doing push-ups, sit-ups, sandbag squats and presses, and sprinting during football practices to keep up his strength.

So, until next off-season, it's been a fun trip
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Good for him !!!

I dont think I can sprint 20 yards in under 3.5 seconds.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
The thing that made this workout so great was that he maintained a very fast pace throughout the entire workout. We got it all done in less than 30 minutes. His strength and conditioning has improved greatly over the last year.
This has been an enjoyable journey to watch. What I am really curious to see is not only how this carries over to football for him physically, but also how his improved confidence carries over.

Well done guys!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

20 reps of 45 lb goblet squats is no joke! Great job!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
and 2 sets

Nice work OR and OR's son!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
Good for him !!!

I dont think I can sprint 20 yards in under 3.5 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
and 2 sets

Nice work OR and OR's son!
Thanks everybody. It's been a fun journey for both of us. I can't wait to see him having fun on the football field instead of suffering from poor conditioning
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What I am really curious to see is not only how this carries over to football for him physically, but also how his improved confidence carries over.

Well done guys!
I am hoping it will all have a positive effect so he can go out there and enjoy himself. I'm also hopeful that he'll notice the benefits and be ready to continue his workouts next off-season. I'm looking forward to a fun season of Pee-Wee football.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I am hoping it will all have a positive effect so he can go out there and enjoy himself. I'm also hopeful that he'll notice the benefits and be ready to continue his workouts next off-season. I'm looking forward to a fun season of Pee-Wee football.
will you keep us posted on how the new season goes for him?
maybe even keep the log running with small updates on games etc??

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
will you keep us posted on how the new season goes for him?
maybe even keep the log running with small updates on games etc??
Yah, I will probably post updates in his journal.