Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Body fat (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10242)

79tx 06-10-2012 02:24 PM

Body fat

Is body fat genetic? I have a hard time losing weight, so I wondered if this was sort of the problem? I have eaten a low fat diet, exercises a lot and still can not shed a few pounds. I have turned to this site to help me maybe lose some weight so I can concentrate on lifting.

bencher 06-17-2012 09:06 AM

I guess it could be genetic. Can you tell us what diets you have all tried as well as what exercises you have done?

DanB 06-17-2012 10:46 AM

Whats your weight, height mate? and could you post up an honest example of your everyday diet? :) Do you weigh your food?, log it?, track your macros? Have you been to the doctor at all about this?

Off Road 06-17-2012 10:51 AM

Even the genetically pre-disposed should be able to shed some fat.
Something to consider, sometimes a strict diet for too long can shut down your metabolism.

5kgLifter 06-17-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79tx (Post 249839)
Is body fat genetic? I have a hard time losing weight, so I wondered if this was sort of the problem? I have eaten a low fat diet, exercises a lot and still can not shed a few pounds. I have turned to this site to help me maybe lose some weight so I can concentrate on lifting.

Low fat and lower calorie diet, or just low fat diet? Much as that may sound almost the same to some, it is very different in that it's possible to gain weight on low-fat diets if those diets still have too many calories in for the individual concerned.

Fat is not the enemy either and low-fat is not always the answer.

nighttrain 06-17-2012 11:28 AM

have you ever tried a low carb diet.... post up some more info and someone here should be able to help you out... i know i did a killer low carb run a few years bask and the results where amazing....

Tannhauser 06-17-2012 12:12 PM

Well, the tendency to gain and retain fat is strongly influenced by genetic factors, as well as eating patterns in childhood. There is also a proportion of the population who just don't respond very well to exercise.

However, there are a lot of people who write themselves off as genetic anomalies, or non-responders, who in reality just aren't doing the right things, or at least who haven't yet discovered what works well for them.

One key exercise might be an honest appraisal of your calorie intake. Recently, in the UK, there's been a TV programme called Secret Eaters. The key message seems to be that lots of people who apparently can't shed pounds - despite healthy diets - are radically underestimating the amount of calories they consume. They aren't liars - they've just got into grazing habits of which they're unaware.

This may not be true in your case, but it's worth thinking about as some were underestimating their calorific intake by about 50%.

Having said all of that, I totally agree with offroad that severely restricted diets can flip you into starvation mode, where your body reduces metabolism and desperately tries to hang on to what fat it has.

79tx 06-17-2012 12:59 PM

I did a low fat diet. I guess it probably was not low in calories. You hear all this hype about low fat but I never look at calories really. Maybe that is why.
I am 5'9" and weigh about 290. Never been to the doctor for it, and I do not weigh my food. And I have no idea about macros.

TitanCT 06-17-2012 05:33 PM

some of the best lookin bodybuilders who get super ripped on stage are endomorphs (they have a hard time dropping fat and/or bodyweight in general).
Genetics are rarely an excuse, especially since no one person is the same, so the best diets are customized nutrition plans.

Bill 06-17-2012 07:52 PM

I think you are just looking for an excuse as to why you are fat.

you arent even providing any details as to what you have tried, food logs, exercise regime, etc.....just a few short sentences, hoping for some magical answer......you arent even putting in enough effort here, so chances are you just arent trying hard enough.