Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Straps and grip improvement...

During my deadlifts the other day, I noticed that lifting the bar was easier when I removed the lifting straps, after doing a similarly heavy set with the straps.

What are people's thoughts on the following theory:

Using straps increases the diameter of the barbell, albeit minimally, due to the strap being wrapped around between the hand and the barbell. One or two wraps of a strap, even a very thin strap, can easily add a good few millimeters to the diameter. So, in a very loose sense, when using straps, we're creating a version of a thicker barbell which in turn is harder to grip. When the straps come off, the grip isn't as thick and the result is an easier grip and lift; even if only a minimal improvement...this may be more noticeable for those with really small hands...possibly.

I realise that straps permit for more weight to be lifted etc...but could there possibly be a carryover because of the slightly increased width of grip required when using the straps?

Just a personal observation; I have also noticed that using straps on the heavy sets does not set my grip back any but assists it for even heavier lifts when the straps aren't being used.

It may not be the same for everyone, of course, but has anybody else noticed this?