Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Straps and grip improvement...

During my deadlifts the other day, I noticed that lifting the bar was easier when I removed the lifting straps, after doing a similarly heavy set with the straps.

What are people's thoughts on the following theory:

Using straps increases the diameter of the barbell, albeit minimally, due to the strap being wrapped around between the hand and the barbell. One or two wraps of a strap, even a very thin strap, can easily add a good few millimeters to the diameter. So, in a very loose sense, when using straps, we're creating a version of a thicker barbell which in turn is harder to grip. When the straps come off, the grip isn't as thick and the result is an easier grip and lift; even if only a minimal improvement...this may be more noticeable for those with really small hands...possibly.

I realise that straps permit for more weight to be lifted etc...but could there possibly be a carryover because of the slightly increased width of grip required when using the straps?

Just a personal observation; I have also noticed that using straps on the heavy sets does not set my grip back any but assists it for even heavier lifts when the straps aren't being used.

It may not be the same for everyone, of course, but has anybody else noticed this?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

In my opinion the theory that straps can actually improve grip because of the slight width increase doesn't hold much water. The reason being(in my simple layman's terms) that the the straps significantly reduce the use of your own grip strength in the first place. So whether the bar is wider or not, the muscles in the forearms and hands that are used for gripping are greatly minimized from the equation.
I hope that makes some sort of since. I apologize if it doesn't.
And, this is just my thoughts on the subject.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Some interesting questions.

I have small hands and find that cloth straps can be more of a burden because of the width increase. I've never liked them much, Just a personal thing.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
In my opinion the theory that straps can actually improve grip because of the slight width increase doesn't hold much water. The reason being(in my simple layman's terms) that the the straps significantly reduce the use of your own grip strength in the first place. So whether the bar is wider or not, the muscles in the forearms and hands that are used for gripping are greatly minimized from the equation.
I hope that makes some sort of since. I apologize if it doesn't.
And, this is just my thoughts on the subject.
So it's essentially a fat bar pull then?
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
So it's essentially a fat bar pull then?
That's not what I'm saying at all.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
That's not what I'm saying at all.
Okay, well at least you apologized beforehand if you didn't make complete sense. I'll have to read your post more thoroughly than.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #7
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I have small hands to go with my short legs and I can't deadlift with straps at all. I've had similar experiences to you 5kg. On a few occasions, I couldn't get the bar off the ground wearing straps, I instantly ditched them and easily lifted the weight.
I could well be utilising the straps incorrectly. Also, Fazc has spoken at great length about grip issues being something of a warning about upper back weakness. He certainly has a point as my failed deadlifts have always been as a result of upper back/trap weakness.
Sod wraps and say yes to chalk I say mh:
Unless of course you're in one of the 99% of gyms that doesn't allow it

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I have small hands to go with my short legs and I can't deadlift with straps at all. I've had similar experiences to you 5kg. On a few occasions, I couldn't get the bar off the ground wearing straps, I instantly ditched them and easily lifted the weight.
I could well be utilising the straps incorrectly. Also, Fazc has spoken at great length about grip issues being something of a warning about upper back weakness. He certainly has a point as my failed deadlifts have always been as a result of upper back/trap weakness.
Sod wraps and say yes to chalk I say mh:
Unless of course you're in one of the 99% of gyms that doesn't allow it
Yep, that's what I noticed last week. Normally, after a heavy set of deads I reduce the weight so the fact that it's easier without the straps isn't so obvious but this time, for some strange reason, I was just having issues getting my fingers around the bar with the straps and couldn't grip properly...ditched the straps and gripped the bar and it went smoothly; one of those days, I guess but something interesting came from it.

Have you tried liquid chalk? You might be able to get away with that; I have to admit, it's good stuff, though I was wary initially about whether it would be or not.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Is that liquid chalk pretty easy to use? Is it messy or does it leave the hands feeling sticky and dirty for the rest of the workout?

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Is that liquid chalk pretty easy to use? Is it messy or does it leave the hands feeling sticky and dirty for the rest of the workout?
Easy to use, spreads well so you don't need to use a lot either; hands feel dry, as in chalky and it does come off slowly throughout the workout but only on areas that have been gripped etc, not all over the place, on the floor and such.