Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Strength & Conditioning (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10000)

bruteforce 05-17-2012 09:30 AM

Strength & Conditioning

An excerpt from an email I received today from a University strength coach. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Quote:

After talking with students and parents this year there seems to be hesitation of many sophomore, junior, and senior non-football player to attend the advanced session. Though this workout will help develop a complete athlete, not just a football player, I do understand the hesitancy of these students. I have recommended that these students utilize the ----, "Session 1" workout. If there is a group of water polo players, soccer player, tennis players, etc that really want to use the summer to work out together, we can create a program specific to their needs during this session.

If you are a female coach, any help promoting the program would be great. My greatest frustration as a strength and conditioning coach is rarely getting girls to put in proper off-season training. They need the training more than the boys! Running and crunches are not a part of a quality off-season training program!

5kgLifter 05-17-2012 09:39 AM

What's wrong with running and crunches? :vroam"

With regard to the females though, I find it really strange that so many seem to be adverse to gaining strength, sweating and working out in general.

bruteforce 05-17-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 242347)
What's wrong with running and crunches? :vroam"

With regard to the females though, I find it really strange that so many seem to be adverse to gaining strength, sweating and working out in general.

I think his problem is the girls workouts seem to consist only of ab work and running. I know most of the programs I've seen them do have plenty of core and sprinting even in the off season.

And I have no idea why females wouldn't want to work hard in the weight room. The good college level athletes I have met work incredibly hard, but as soon as they are away from their coaches, go back to routines that get them nowhere. That actually goes for the men just as much as the women.

Off Road 05-17-2012 09:59 AM

That is a great opportunity for those other athletes. I scratch my head as to why they wouldn't want to take advantage of it. I could see the hesitancy if they had to mix with the football team or run the same program, but they are offereing them a complete program for their sport with seperate sessions. That would be awesome!

BendtheBar 05-17-2012 02:07 PM

It's crazy how weights helped my athletic perform in only one year. After one year in the weight room I was hitting homers and could almost dunk a basketball.

I wish I had a good strength coach in high school or college.

TitanCT 05-17-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 242347)

females, like seventyseven? no that's eating. my bad.