Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!
Default The Old Man

Not sure what brought this on, but I was thinking about the view I had of my dad when I was a kid. The guy was huge, brutally strong, and knew everything. I was pretty sure he could pick up a car with one hand. He could do impossible things, like carry 2 five gallon buckets full of water and fish up the big hill back to the truck. He knew the answers to everything in my homework without having to use a pencil and paper. He was super-human.

Now that I'm big and strong and supposedly grown up, I look back at it all and think "damn, that old dude really was pretty awesome". Sure, I'm a couple inches taller than him, and yeah, he's getting close to 60 and is slowing down some, but he still has a grip that could crush my hand. And that was a BIG hill. I think I would pass out half way up, and a 5 gallon bucket full of water gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.

He's tough, smart, and I still feel like he's stronger than me, even though clearly that's not the case. But he's still my old man. Sort of a hero. A dorky one. An engineer who had his career chosen for him by an accident in paper work and became one of the best in his field. A man who sacrificed every day, working 12 hours and coming home and finding time to be with his family and tell the same bad joke every night, thinking it was funnier each time. I hope one day I can be as good as he is. To dads.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Awesome.

I love my dad, but he was never a 'physical' kind of guy. He didn't like the outdoors, so I had to teach myself how to fish, camp, and build fires. He never did any sort of exercise other than walking and yard work, I had to teach myself about strength and conditioning. My dad worked very long hours and was often home after we were in bed. I want more for my kids, so I introduce them to things like the outdoors, fishing and shooting, exercise and sports, and I make sure that I spend as much time as I can with them; Joking and playing and teaching.

Last edited by Off Road; 04-30-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Wonderful observation, bruteforce. Kinda chokes me up thinking about my dad. Our dads sound similar in many ways. I don't think my dad ever exercised a day in his life, but life. tough times, and farm work made him strong as an ox. For all the training I've done in the past 10 years, I still think my dad (at 74) is stronger than me. I like to thinks so anyway.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

That's awesome, Brute. I would give anything to have had that experience.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Great Brute, thanks
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Nice, but " he's getting close to 60 "...isn't old. Geez, I'll be 57 in a couple of months.